Project Solar / Duracell/Solar Panels

Options
13»

Comments

• alastaid
    Options
    Wunderful,

I have been looking at the Duracell battery, I have a 4kw existing solar solar panel installation. Do you know if its possible firstly to put in a Duracell powerbank and stay on the existing FIT, ie not participate in the social energy thing, and get the battery to solely utilise its charge on the household load (my house has a constant approx 300w draw). Secondly, I am always a bit sceptical of products that dont give even indicative pricing (at least I couldnt find any!), is it possible if you can give any ball park figures for the cost of the Duracell Powerbank?

Thanks

Alastair
  • mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,644 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    At the risk of overcomplicating things, a thought on future price predictions....

The data Martyn points to relates to the average wholesale price of electricity, but this varies hugely across the course of a day. If you accept the premise that rolling out smart meters will lead to time of use tarriffs becoming the norm, rather than the fixed 15p per kWh or so that most domestic customers pay at the moment, then the saving from solar will relate to the rate at the time of day the panels are generating electricity. This could very easily lead to different paybacks for east or west facing panels, and/or dramatically effect the payback period.

My own confident prediction is that prices will either go up, go down or stay about the same :)

On a more serious note, introduction of these tarriffs would increase the case for battery storage becuase you could then choose to consume the energy you generate at the most cost effective time.

As far as buying the house is concerned, when I bought my own bungalow, the panels, if anything, reduced the price because the panels had previously caused so much nervousness that a previosu sale had fallen through. If it was me, I would just treat the panels as a bonus and negotiate on the price of the house as if they weren't there.

Good luck - exciting times ahead :)
  • k4leem
    k4leem Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    @Alastair

I am in the same boat

Have a 4kw since 2011 and have the benefit of a nice FIT deemed export

but for me its a choice of

a) get electric car (and charge during the day - works for us)
    b) get an energy bank
    c) do nothing and keep turning applicances on during the sunny days !
  • Reed_Richards
    Reed_Richards Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got a flyer inside a magazine advertising Project Solar, with Duracell given equal billing. Their fine print says:
    Based on....an electricity bill of £60.00 per month with a £16.46 per KW hour cost per electricity unit from the grid.
    That should, I hope, be pence rather than pounds (and it's a lower case k for kilo-anything). This is very careless.
    Reed
  • alibob66
    Options
    I have a solar battery fitted last year and was told I would have to move to social energy from bulb. I did that but now want to change supplier to a more competitive price is this possible or does having a battery mean im stuck with them?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback