Bus, Taxi, Cyclist Drivers

Options
whambam
whambam Posts: 508 Forumite
They all now have dash cams and cyclist have cameras on their heads can they report you if your in a bus or taxi lane or driving bad? If they do do they go to the police or elsewhere and does anyone actually ever get done like a fine?

Comments

• Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    Presumably bus lanes reported to local enforcement authority and "bad driving" to police.

Pretty certain dash cams have been used to initiate careless/dangerous driving etc. (In fact many people "report" themselves by posting incriminating videos on Youtube!).

In fact there is one on Youtube where a dashcam showed the car in front driving erratically and running over a pedestrian at a crossing. The following car pursued the driver and when she stopped discovered she was pi55ed.

Don't know about bus lanes.
  • fred990
    fred990 Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    First prosecution from dash cam footage happened a while ago. Some clown in a vw golf overtaking if I remember correctly.

'Nextbase' I think is an upload site? Probably dodgy drivers and not bus lanes.
    Funnily, i've been pondering a small Caddy sized van to facilitate a side project i'm going to work on. I havent seen much movement yet, but in theory markets like pickups and vans are likely to be hit by the upcoming downturn.
    Would be interesting to hear if anyone has direct experience?

Why? So you can argue with them?
  • scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Many police authorities now encourage people to upload dashcam footage and they will prosecute where appropriate:

Eg: https://www.cheshire.police.uk/advice-and-support/roads-and-vehicle-safety/submit-dashcam-footage/
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    Options
    But be warned, they also look at the driving/riding and behaviour of the uploader of the video as well.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Johno100 wrote: »
    But be warned, they also look at the driving/riding and behaviour of the uploader of the video as well.

As they should. In some of those videos on YouTube showing bad driving, the driving of the "camera car" doesn't bear close inspection.
  • whambam
    whambam Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    What about for minor offences such as going into a bus lane or taxi route by mistake or you have no option due to like hazard lights or accident?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I upload the odd stupid incident from car and bike cameras but only for youtube use, the dash cam clip shows are quite good fun but they rarely get reported unless it's something serious. If someone happens to hit me then they will be given to the police/insurer to prove guilt.

I did happen to catch one incident of a collision between a bike and a car that I provided to them for insurance purposes but I've never felt the need to ring up the police - the plate alone isn't really proof unless you can prove the driver (check the case of a cyclist being hit from behind by an aggressive driver that resulted in 2x 6 points for failing to name the driver as the camera couldn't identify the driver).

I often find as well what you see isn't always what the camera catches - I saw a guy watching TV on his mobile as he was driving but the camera on my bike was too high to see it. The footage particularly at night often doesn't catch the plates.

Go on youtube and there are 3 or 4 well known popular channels (UK bad drivers exposed, UK dash cams, Welshdrive off the top of my head) and if you do drive stupidly you may well end up on there.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,124 Forumite
    Options
    People must have a lot of time on their hands if they are uploading or passing on every instance of bad driving they record.

I have a camera on one of my cycling helmets, and a dashcam in my car. I rarely if ever even view anything. My car ones gets overwritten and my bike ones gets deleted. I only look at them if I feel there has been something dramatically bad that put me in danger. Sometimes I find the incident doesn't look as bad as it felt at the time.

The only time I referred anything to the police they said they couldn't view the file on their computers at work, could I come in and play it to them. I didn't bother.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Nebulous2 wrote: »
    People must have a lot of time on their hands if they are uploading or passing on every instance of bad driving they record.

But you could be saving lives.

Just imagine a puppy or a kitten carrying a basketful of nuns was endangered by a rogue unicyclist :eek:
  • James2k
    James2k Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    I upload the odd stupid incident from car and bike cameras but only for youtube use, the dash cam clip shows are quite good fun but they rarely get reported unless it's something serious. If someone happens to hit me then they will be given to the police/insurer to prove guilt.

I did happen to catch one incident of a collision between a bike and a car that I provided to them for insurance purposes but I've never felt the need to ring up the police - the plate alone isn't really proof unless you can prove the driver (check the case of a cyclist being hit from behind by an aggressive driver that resulted in 2x 6 points for failing to name the driver as the camera couldn't identify the driver).

I often find as well what you see isn't always what the camera catches - I saw a guy watching TV on his mobile as he was driving but the camera on my bike was too high to see it. The footage particularly at night often doesn't catch the plates.

Go on youtube and there are 3 or 4 well known popular channels (UK bad drivers exposed, UK dash cams, Welshdrive off the top of my head) and if you do drive stupidly you may well end up on there.
    in my experience its 45% the cam cars bad driving 45% someone making the slightest mistake possible such as making a tiny swerve to avoid a leaf etc and 10% good stuff.

some of the things people upload are the most non event things possible and it does make one wonder about the people uploading them.

still watch uk bad drivers exposed every friday though ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure