Who is cheapest for 0845 and 0870?

Options
Hi all

I wonder if anyone can help me with which companies are cheapest for calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers. I use the SayNoTo0870 website frequently but it doesn't always help.

I am about to purchase an Orchid dialler, and would like this info as the guy there has kindly offerred to set the dialer up for me before I receive it as I am a mac user and their software is pc only.

I currently have a BT line, with free evening and weekend calls via OneTel. I am also signed up to Call 1899 and Call 18866. So what is my best option for 0845 and 0870 calls? I'd prefer to use one of my existing companies but would be open to other suggestions if it made a decent saving

All help is much appreciated.

Regards

Pierre.

Comments

• littlereddevil
    littlereddevil Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    Options
    I thought they all charged the same for these numbers
    travelover
  • dag_2
    dag_2 Posts: 793 Forumite
    Options
    I currently have a BT line, with free evening and weekend calls via OneTel. I am also signed up to Call 1899 and Call 18866. So what is my best option for 0845 and 0870 calls? I'd prefer to use one of my existing companies but would be open to other suggestions if it made a decent saving
    I thought they all charged the same for these numbers
    They certainly don't.

Over the years, I've spent far too much time poring over the Magenta Systems comparison listings, looking for cheaper 0845 and 0870 calls. As far as I'm aware, no-one is cheaper than BT for 0845 and 0870 calls - and no-one has undercut BT for at least two years. Powergen used to undercut them on 0845's - but they don't any more.

So - chances are, it's going to stay that way for some time to come.

Sometimes, you can get them on inclusive minutes for mobile phones - but that's about it.

Dial 1280 before any 0845 or 0870 numbers. That way, they will appear on your BT bill, and not your OneTel bill. Wait until the evening before dialing them too, if you can.

Avoid signing up for any Wholesale Line Rental services that block indirect access calls. You won't be able to use 18866, 1899 or 1280 if you have wholesale line rental.
    :p
  • pricefighter
    pricefighter Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    Options
    There is a cheaper supplier of calls to 0845/0870 https://www.dialaround.co.uk
    (BUT ONLY AT PEAK TIMES) The rest of the time BT comes out top.

0845 Numbers.(Dial 0844 462 4848) 2p a min instead of BT,s 3p a min.(BT Together Options Customers.)
    0870 Numbers.(Dial 0844 566 7575) 5p a min instead of BT,s 7.51p a min.(BT Together Options Customers.)

Programme the dialler so that all NGN 0844,0845,0870 go through BT and dial the Dialaround numbers at peak time.

A min call charge of 5p applies when dialling NGN from BT.
    PF.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    There is a cheaper supplier of calls to 0845/0870 https://www.dialaround.co.uk
    (BUT ONLY AT PEAK TIMES) The rest of the time BT comes out top.

0845 Numbers.(Dial 0844 462 4848) 2p a min instead of BT,s 3.95p a min.
    0870 Numbers.(Dial 0844 566 7575) 5p a min instead of BT,s 7.91p a min.
    You've fallen into the 'undiscounted rates' trap there pricefighter.

The vast majority of BT residential customers were forced to change to BT Together Option 1 on 1/7/2004 so are now charged 3p/min peak for 0845 calls and 7.51p/min peak for 0870 calls.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • pricefighter
    pricefighter Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for that.Yes i had fallen into the trap.I have amended my op accordingly. Luckily there are still savings to be made.
    PF.
  • scottornp
    scottornp Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I'm a little confused by a couple of things which hopefully can be advised on. As mentioned earlier I have OneTel's free evening and weekend deal (downgraded when they had the offer, from an £11 a month package with them after reading this site). Does this allow me to use their free directory services on 118111 at any time of the day? Also if at peak time I pick up my phone and just dial a standard uk number ie 01... is this going via BT or OneTel. Obviously once I have the Orchid Dialler this will all change, but I need to know prior to set-up.
    It sounds like I'll use BT all the time for 0845 and 0870 (unless there is an alternative number on SayNoTo0870), as it doesn't sound like the dialaround options can be programmed into the dialler.
    Thanks again
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    ...Does this allow me to use their free directory services on 118111 at any time of the day?
    Yes*
    Also if at peak time I pick up my phone and just dial a standard uk number ie 01... is this going via BT or OneTel
    OneTel*
    It sounds like I'll use BT all the time for 0845 and 0870 (unless there is an alternative number on SayNoTo0870), as it doesn't sound like the dialaround options can be programmed into the dialler.
    If you can find a geographical from SayNoTo0870 then obviously use that otherwise use the appropriate 0844 numbers (as mentioned in Pricefighters post) during peak-time for calls to 0845/0870 but during evening and weekend just use BT.

The Orchid dialler (v4) can be set-up to do this automatically as the 0844 numbers can be added to the carrier list by Orchid (assuming it's not already listed in the carrier list). Orchid will programme the box for you to your specifications free of charge for the first time. Any subsequent changes you would have to make yourself or ask Orchid to do this for you for a charge of £2.

*Assuming that you're on OneTel's Carrier Pre-Selection (CPS) service (OneTel refer to it as 'Select' service). The chances are that you are on OneTel's Select (CPS) service.
  • scottornp
    Options
    Thanks bbb for that clarification. It looks like everything is coming together nicely with the assitance of all the folks on here. I emailed the support line at Orchid, and the guy there has kindly offerred to make any later changes to my dialler for me free of charge if I email him directly - which I thought was very good. I was very impressed with the speed of communication by them.
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    Forgot to mention that you can use OneTel when dialling either of the two 0844 access numbers as mentioned by pricefighter instead of dialling the direct 0845/0870 numbers of a company.

Both BT & OneTel charge exactly the same for calls to these 0844... numbers mentioned by pricefighter and remember its only cheaper during the daytime.

Also, you may want to consider (if you haven't already) to have the Orchid Dialler dial the OneTel DQ service whenever you dial any 118 xxx number and/or dialling the old 192 DQ number. In other words anyone dialling 192 or any of the 118... numbers will be put through to OneTel's own (and therefore free) DQ service.
  • scottornp
    Options
    I was going to do exactly that. It will be especially useful when we have guests etc.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Regards
    Pierre
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills