Eeek! My Pc keeps falling asleep!?!

Options

Comments

• that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    edited 10 November 2018 at 3:58PM
    Options
    Sorry the MSE site partially saved my amended post, then would not let me back in, now have difficulty saving too - found the problem that if i write the words system-thirty-two as displayed in the file system then it will not save my message
    bex88 wrote: »
    Strangely, perhaps a coincidence, ive unplugged the the external hdd that's connect via usb and this time I'm logged in and stayed on at the mo... hmm
    I have had it were shorting pins in the usb cause the computer failure. You could try another port?

I could not find aspire m7200 on their site?

Windows 10?

type Start > type Power & sleep settings, make everything under the settings to Never

also go to and adminstrative dos prompt, in there type
    powercfg /ENERGY
    Wait and it will probably tell you it created the file in C:\WINDOWS\system-thirty-two\energy-report.html and you need to move this to somewhere accessible like desktop, and open the file with your browser
    ... and what do you get?

here is mine https://i.imgur.com/iGO6P34.png
  • bex88
    bex88 Posts: 641 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    that wrote: »
    I have had it were shorting pins in the usb cause the computer failure. You could try another port?

I could not find aspire m7200 on their site?

Windows 10?

type Start > type Power & sleep settings, make everything under the settings to Never

also go to and adminstrative dos prompt, in there type
    powercfg /ENERGY
    Wait and it will probably tell you it created the file in C:\WINDOWS\system-thirty-two\energy-report.html and you need to move this to somewhere accessible like desktop, and open the file with your browser
    ... and what do you get?

here is mine https://i.imgur.com/iGO6P34.png

Ohright, yeah it's definitely M7200, it's what it says on the front of it. It looks just like this:

46238.jpg

It's Windows 10 now but originally it was Vista. Bought it gotta be at least 10 years ago now as an A1 condition (box opened) from Acer direct.

I've not plugged the external hdd back in as of yet but will try another USB port and see what it does and report back. So far it's not done the sleep issue since keeping that usb unplugged so maybe it might be something to do with it, but I shall see.

I turned everything to 'never' now. There was only 'screen' and 'sleep' settings in there.

The powercfg /ENERGY has given me:

Energy efficiency problems were found.

13 Errors
    13 Warnings
    26 Informational

This is the Report
  • bex88
    edited 8 December 2018 at 2:42AM
    Options
    So it's randomly been working fine then tonight it's started doing it again. I literally can not log into it for more than a minute before it goes off, sometimes only after a few seconds. Comes on, then screen goes black 'no signal' fan or something sounds like it's spinning faster then stops and power light goes off. Move mouse or press on button, cones back on, then does same again. :(:(:(

My display and computer sleep are both set to Never.

I've unplugged everything from usb sockets and card reader, apart from my mouse receiver - which I've moved to different usbs.

Edit: now it's just popped up with " we have an update for you..." I'm just restarting it now so will see what it does.

Edit2: ok now it's working again... now I'm wondering of its some sort of update issue..
  • Pikeyp
    Pikeyp Posts: 494 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I wonder if this could be 'hibernation' playing up? ... corrupt file maybe?
    The Hiberfil.sys hidden system file is located in the root folder of the drive where the operating system is installed. The Windows Kernel Power Manager reserves this file when you install Windows. The size of this file is approximately equal to how much random access memory (RAM) is installed on the computer.

The computer uses the Hiberfil.sys file to store a copy of the system memory on the hard disk when the hybrid sleep setting is turned on. If this file is not present, the computer cannot hibernate.

You can easily turn hibernation off ... (and back on again! ...) with these commands in a cmd window (with admin privileges)

type powercfg.exe /hibernate off, and then press Enter ... that will destroy the current (maybe corrupt) hiberfil.sys file ...
    type powercfg.exe /hibernate on , and then press Enter ... that will rebuild a fresh hiberfil.sys file!

more here .... https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/920730/how-to-disable-and-re-enable-hibernation-on-a-computer-that-is-running

Worth trying anyway!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So it's randomly been working fine then tonight it's started doing it again. I literally can not log into it for more than a minute before it goes off, sometimes only after a few seconds. Comes on, then screen goes black 'no signal' fan or something sounds like it's spinning faster then stops and power light goes off. Move mouse or press on button, cones back on, then does same again. :(:(:(
    OK so now we're getting somewhere.

I think its actually shutting down because it is overheating, not because of any issue with Windows. Eventually they get to the point where they'll just fire up and instantly shut down. If the PC is a few years old chances are the heatsink is blocked up with fluff, if you smoke it could take less time to do that. You will need to take the lid off and find the CPU fan. That'll be on top of the heatsink which is likely to be full of fluff and dust. If you've a vacuum cleaner with a nozzle you can use a paintbrush to dislodge the fluff whilst sucking it away with the vacuum cleaner nozzle.
  • bex88
    edited 14 December 2018 at 4:22AM
    Options
    It's driving me crazy. It's doing it again. I've tried to get to the cmd to try the hibernate thing but at the mo it goes off as soon as I log on.

I've opened the case, I don't smoke and do usually give it a dust once or twice a year inside. I've taken the fan off the cpu bit and the fins don't look too bad at all but then I did only give that all a dust a few weeks ago when it first started doing it, thinking maybe it was dust causing a problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ey7v36u60u81jt/20181214_015346.jpg?dl=0
    20181214_015346.jpg?dl=0

Just trying to figure out how that part comes off now, it's the black lever but not sure which way to manoeuvre it, feels stuff and don't want to break.it...

Edit: ok so I've take the cooler off, was some dust under it but not too much. Cleaned that. Then took the graphics card out. Dusted that. Took the psu out. Dusted that. Pcs had chance to cool down all the while. Started it back up. Still doing it :'(

Somethings going on because it's actually waking itself up after it goes off without me even moving the mouse. I noticed it had been doing this previously when I put it in sleep mode before bed, then randomly in the night it would wake itself up.
  • bex88
    Options
    The powercfg.exe /hibernate off did not work, it says unable to perform operation, unexpected error etc..

Here's a video of it happening:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/anfaez4n1csmi1v/20181214_035137.mp4?dl=0
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    edited 14 December 2018 at 10:10AM
    Options
    Edit: ok so I've taken the cooler off
    If you took the cooler off, you should clean old thermal paste off and reapply new. If still the same after you've done that, try a different PSU (they are cheap to buy but you may have friends with a spare box)?
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • poppellerant
    Options
    Something I've seen before is the power button sticking and causing random shutdowns. Try turning the PC on then disconnecting the power button lead on the motherboard. If it stays on without the power button connected, then you may have found your problem.

If is the power button sticking, you might be able to pop it out, clean the sticky edges and put it back in again. You could also try just a small squirt of WD40 to lubricate the power button.
  • bex88
    edited 14 December 2018 at 4:26PM
    Options
    Hi, thanks again for the replies. I turned it off in a sulk last night and went to bed haha. I've not turned it back on today yet but I have ordered some Arctic thermal compound from Amazon which is arriving this eve. It may or may not make a difference but needs doing anyway as mentioned, I've removed the cooler. Plus it's at least 8 years old.

The PSU is also something to consider. About 6 or 7 years ago the PC would not boot up at all. I got a pc guy out and he took it away. Turned out it was the psu and I paid him £60 to put in a new one. I had no idea at the time but if I had known the psu was the definite problem I could have just bought and fitted it myself. So if all else fails I will also try that. Unfortunately I don't really know anyone else with s desktop, they all have laptops (boo).

It could be something to do with the button, the logs did say reason button/lid. But surely if it was stuck or sticking (though feels like normal) then wouldn't it turn the PC off rather than make it going into a sleep state?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure