We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Need help with credit card

I need help with a credit card situation as I'm completely lost on what to do.

I had some debt on an Aqua card. The interest was affordable at first but over the past 2-3 years I've had the card they've upped the interest rate so bad to the point where they were charging me more than I can afford for interest alone, which I couldn't afford, so I emailed Aqua asking for help paying my monthly payments.
They can clearly see emails as they then sent me a form to fill in my income/outgoings. I filled it out and explained that I am disabled and cannot work and live off of disability benefits - I also cannot speak over the phone cause of my disability. Yet they did not change my payments and suddenly seemed to ignore me.

1. I asked multiple times over the past few months to authorise my partner to speak on the phone. They said each time to do this they would send us a letter for us to fill out. We not once received this letter but in a few days received a 'we haven't got your authorisation response' letter. Multiple times this happened - they did call me daily though, my partner would pick up and explain our situation again. Some of them were seriously rude to us and some even insulted us.
2. They didn't change my monthly payments. They did start adding multiple fees though, almost immediately, despite me paying what I could. My debt has become about £1,000 higher in FEES and INTEREST - this is AFTER I've told them I can't pay this much anymore.
3. They passed the debt onto a debt collection agency - honestly, at first I felt relief - they listened to my problems and we agreed on a monthly payment I can afford. But, wait, Aqua are suddenly adding more fees - much higher than I've told the debt collection agency I can pay?
4. I have received a letter as of lately. Aqua don't seem to care that I'm paying the debt collection agency money towards their debt and haven't acknowledged my payments, they're just continuing with what their doing.

This started in March/April - it is now November. They haven't responded to any of my emails, any of my letters, and it feels like they're not giving my partner authorisation to talk on purpose. I would seriously appreciate any help because I don't know what to do. I've never had problems with debt and yet Aqua are probably destroying my credit file for this. I'm disabled, I can't work, I'm living off of disability benefits, my mental health has gone seriously downhill because of this.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

Comments

  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 24,081 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier
    You need to be writing not phoning.

    There is some guidance here

    https://debtcamel.co.uk/refunds-catalogue-credit-card/

    You will get a default on your credit file but you need them to freeze interest and charges and refund these to the point where you first asked them for help.

    Finish your letter by telling them you require a response within 8 weeks.

    If you do not get one or are not happy with the response, refer it to the Financial Ombudsman.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 5,722 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Assuming that you were not still using (ie spending on) the card at the time, did you reject the interest rate rise?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,483 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    I am writing, a lot. My point is that they are not responding to my emails or letters.
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,499 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I am writing, a lot. My point is that they are not responding to my emails or letters.
    You need to follow the process.
    fatbelly wrote: »
    Finish your letter by telling them you require a response within 8 weeks.

    If you do not get one or are not happy with the response, refer it to the Financial Ombudsman.
    If it is already 8 weeks since you lodged a formal complaint then go straight to the FOS.

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • If Aqua has sold your debt to a collection agency how can they be adding more fees to it? That doesn't sound right.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 5,722 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    I am writing, a lot. My point is that they are not responding to my emails or letters.


    Yes, but did you reject the original rate increase? If you did then you have a stronger case against the card company in respect of the additional charges / costs.
  • I hope that everything will go well.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 24,081 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier
    OP appears to have left our family!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.