We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Watchdog to investigate if your personal details determine how much you pay - MSE News

Options
An investigation has been launched into whether online shoppers are paying different prices for the same items - depending on factors such as where they live and whether they are married...
Read the full story:
'Watchdog to investigate if your personal details determine how much you pay'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MSE_Naomi wrote: »
    The Government has announced it will look at 'personalised pricing', which means consumers can be charged different amounts when they buy items such as cars and holidays online.
    Has anyone in UK history ever bought a car online?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't have holidays, but I sometimes search for holidays and start by putting "2 people" on the first search - and seeing what comes up - then changing it to "1 person" and watching a lot of the rooms disappearing. These are rooms where there's a charge per room, say "£35/night per room" ... it's there for two people booking it, but gone if just one books it.

I suspect it's because a couple are more likely to spend more money with them than a single would.

I once tried to book some hostel rooms for some friends who were quite happy to pay twice the "per person" rate at a hostel to get their own room - but the booking was declined on the basis of occupancy being too low and they wanted the beds filling, so they could optimise the meals/drinks and other things people would do on the premises.

So they might be discounting things for couples, as they deem they will pay more "over the lifetime" of the product/service than singles.
  • Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    for hotel rooms could you book for a couple and then have one as a no show? not sure if this is allowable for flights.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure