A question for photographers

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have to admit Heedtheadvice I have an intuitive feeling that it is some type of fault :( and it might explain why the chap sold it in the first place.
    That's always the risk of buying used items you never know what type of hidden faults might surface at a later date that the seller doesn't make you aware of.
    A bit like buying a used car with an intermittent fault that won't show itself at the time of purchase

Do you want to buy a camera by any chance??
  • ukcarper
    ukcarper Posts: 17,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 November 2018 at 9:40AM
    Options
    beanfarmer wrote: »
    I have to admit Heedtheadvice I have an intuitive feeling that it is some type of fault :( and it might explain why the chap sold it in the first place.
    That's always the risk of buying used items you never know what type of hidden faults might surface at a later date that the seller doesn't make you aware of.
    A bit like buying a used car with an intermittent fault that won't show itself at the time of purchase

Do you want to buy a camera by any chance??
    Before you get rid of camera take more photos in less demanding conditions and see if they are OK. Taking photos with a bright light source in front of lens can cause flare. Do other photos you have taken have similar problems.
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Options
    I would suspect there are no photos on the camera you want, so why not reset it to the original factory settings?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3291360

Also think the camera is faulty :(
  • d0nkeyk0ng
    Options
    When I first saw the first photo, I thought the camera was exposing for the room behind the window (which might be dark). This would blow out the highlights, which might be compounded by lens flare.

OP, are you able to take a photo of the same area but focus on the wall above the window on an overcast day? If the camera is able to expose properly, then the window and the room will be dark but everything else should come out okay.

The RX100M3 camera is very good generally so I'd expect excellent picture quality. Unless there's a camera fault
  • ukcarper
    ukcarper Posts: 17,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    d0nkeyk0ng wrote: »
    When I first saw the first photo, I thought the camera was exposing for the room behind the window (which might be dark). This would blow out the highlights, which might be compounded by lens flare.

OP, are you able to take a photo of the same area but focus on the wall above the window on an overcast day? If the camera is able to expose properly, then the window and the room will be dark but everything else should come out okay.

The RX100M3 camera is very good generally so I'd expect excellent picture quality. Unless there's a camera fault

I did think that at first because the room behind far window seems the best exposed part of photo. But the whole bottom part of photo is burnt out and I would have thought that there would be dark areas down there that would be better exposed. That's what made me think it could be bad lens flare it could be a camera fault but with such a good camera I would have thought it would be worth investigating further.
  • Heedtheadvice
    Options
    Some suggestions: you obviously are making little or very slow progress asking on here as what we can do is rather limited......

See if you can find a knowledgeable person locally to help you with camera settings and a picture test; local camera club members might be willing
    or
    take to a local camera shop (not a general chain!) if you have one nearby; if they find it is just a setting then you could always buy something from them if they do not charge you!
    or
    Discuss it with a SonyAuthorised Service centre to test and quite cost of any repair https://services.sony.co.uk/supportmvc/en/Repair/BookRepair#

In the meantime do take more shots and see if there is any change, try the reset, or just buy a good budget camera as it will give much better pictures than current results.....even a phone cam or a £50 compact would do better!
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Given the photos you have posted recently on the site and the EXIF information !posted by Colin I suspect it could still be a camera fault!

That's my thought as well as I can't see any strange setting in the EXIF data that would cause that sort of image in an auto mode as the auto-exposure mode looks to be a general one rather than a centre weighted one. I've taken a lot of photos with an RX100mk1 and mk4 plus plenty of other recent Sony cameras and never seen them do something like this on automatic.

OP, does the image look fine on the camera screen before you take the photo? Also when you took the photo did you just point it straight then press the shutter button? Or did you point at a different location, half press the shutter then turn the camera to final position and fully press the shutter?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    d0nkeyk0ng wrote: »

That's a good point, although he's on auto mode can you set the metering mode separately? This camera has Multi Pattern, Center Weighted & Spot metering options, if he's got it on Spot (maybe Centre Weighted) metering that may explain it.
  • d0nkeyk0ng
    Options
    Okay so I've done a search - some people have reported their rx100m3 overexposes. For some people this has been marginal (less than +1). For others, it has been more (+3 or greater). The latter has been attributed to dodgy models. So if the camera constantly overexposes (in the absence of any other causes like camera settings or user error), this may well be a dodgy unit.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 6 November 2018 at 4:29PM
    Options
    That's a good point, although he's on auto mode can you set the metering mode separately? This camera has Multi Pattern, Center Weighted & Spot metering options, if he's got it on Spot (maybe Centre Weighted) metering that may explain it.

I was thinking the same but according to the EXIF it was in the 'pattern' AE mode which is the default in auto.

Also it would show in the image preview on the display or EVF that the exposure was a long way out and the exposure settings look ok although hard to tell what the lighting was actually like when the photo was taken.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure