We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Direct debits from years ago

When I was younger I had 2 direct debits, one was an internet company and the other was a mobile phone contract. I had to cancel these direct debits and as a result got letters from collection agencies etc.

This was about 8 years ago and I've since moved but these missed payments don't show on my credit history, at least from what I can see. In fact I can't even see any of my current direct debits on there except my anglian water direct debit, my eon or my bt direct debts don't show up. I'm looking at my history using Noddle by the way.

Anyways so what's the deal with those past direct debits that I never actually ended up paying? Are they still on my file and affecting my ability to get credit but I just can't see them?

I don't have any CCJs or bankruptcies etc.

Comments

  • cjv
    cjv Posts: 513 Forumite
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Newshound!
    The accounts would of probably been defaulted and then after 6 years from the default date they would of been removed from your credit files.
  • Craig1981
    Craig1981 Posts: 769 Forumite
    Third Anniversary
    also check Clearscore and MSE club - that will show any closed utility accounts. Noddle doesnt show my utilitiies, but Clearscore does, and MSE do as well

    but correct info above - would have dropped off your file 6 years from date of 1st default
  • Eternal1
    Eternal1 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Craig1981 wrote: »
    also check Clearscore and MSE club - that will show any closed utility accounts. Noddle doesnt show my utilitiies, but Clearscore does, and MSE do as well

    but correct info above - would have dropped off your file 6 years from date of 1st default

    Thanks for the suggestion, I've signed up to MSE Club but I still don't see any past accounts like my old mobile contract / direct debit or broadband contract / direct debit. Also my current eon and bt direct debits do not show up, just my anglian water direct debit.

    I'm looking under Credit Accounts and I see some accounts which were closed a few years ago and they were closed in good standing and Defaulted Accounts shows 0.

    I guess after such a long time the mobile and broadband missed payments / outstanding balances have been removed?
  • In addition to the length of time that has passed we should perhaps also consider the nature of the services covered by the contracts you were in. Yes, by stopping paying you were technically in breach of contract (probably) but the service providers would have simply terminated your services as soon as you stopped paying. Effectively then, the services you actually received were paid for up to the point of termination, so, maybe, they weren't regarded as debts gone bad.

    Just a thought.
  • jimbo26
    jimbo26 Posts: 954 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Just a small point. The CRA's don't record direct debits. They record credit accounts irrespective of how they are paid.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.