Managing donations to support treatment

JenE_2
JenE_2 Posts: 103 Forumite
edited 3 November 2018 at 10:58PM in Disability money matters
Hi all
I've a friend who is very ill and is now on a treatment which isn't funded by the NHS so is "co-funding" it. They haven't set up a gofundme or any other similar thing, but have received (unsolicited) donations from friends and family to help with the cost.
They've asked if I could help with the admin of this, as it's not something they were expecting to do and obviously have other things on their mind.
They are wanting help to show everyone that the money has been used for what it was given for.

Has anyone else had this experience? What did you do?
I'm thinking they need a separate account where this is the only thing going through, had initially thought of a joint account with me as a signatory, but not sure that's really appropriate? And a simple spreadsheet tracking transactions.
Any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Just a separate account and a detail of whats coming in from where, and where the money is going should do it.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Depending on who needs to access the money a joint account may be a good idea especially if the recipient is unable to access it due to their illness. Obviously meticulous record keeping is needed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure