We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Can anyone explain this?

I booked a holiday and gave my credit card details. This was in the Ts & Cs of the booking confirmation.
PAYMENT CONFIRMATION
Payment at hotel (In the concept of administration fees and guarantee 15 days before arrival, the equivalent of 2 nights stay will be charged to the credit card provided at the time of making the reservation. The charge will be made in euros. The card holder must be present on check-in and must provide the card that the deposit was charged to. On arrival the total cost of the reservation must be paid and the deposit will be refunded to the credit card.)
I THINK it means the hotel will take 2 nights charge 15 days prior but when we arrive, they’ll take the whole amount & refund the 2 nights. But this seems an odd way of charging. Have I understood it correctly?
:smileyhea A SMILE COSTS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

Comments

  • That's my understanding of it. They may just charge you the difference, and the 2 nights is in case you don't show. I've had similar where they charge for the first night or two if you don't show, but usually not 15 days in advance.

    When booking foreign holidays I always watch the exchange rates and try and pay in full at a good time - who knows how strong or weak the euro will be when it comes to paying.
  • Yes, I think your understanding is correct. I guess that the 2 nights is a non refundable deposit?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Save £12k in 2026 Challenge £12000/£10,000
    365 day 1p Challenge 2026 £667.95/£600.31
    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 4,872 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Hung up my suit! Home Insurance Hacker!
    I guess that the 2 nights is a non refundable deposit?
    Katykat wrote: »
    the deposit will be refunded to the credit card.

    It's refundable, and I don't think it's really any different to how security deposits are taken in the UK for hotel bookings. I wouldn't worry.
    Know what you don't
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.