We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

House deeds

Options
2»

Comments

• Stuart_A
    Stuart_A Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Another thing to bear in mind - you can only buy something off anyone provided they want to sell it to you. If your dad/his wife doesn't want to sell it to you then there's nothing you can do to buy it apart from offering stupid money for it.

He does want to sell it to me👍
  • Stuart_A
    Stuart_A Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Seanymph wrote: »
    The most logical way to my mind would be to buy the house from your mother - who then has to pass 20% across to your father.

That's how it was designed to work - what he does with his 20% is up to him.

Anything other than a straight transaction as above suggests that you are trying to profiteer in some way - or your mother is trying to 'gift' you some of her property.

Buy it outright from your mum, she pays him off, all is dandy.

As he doesn't actually get his 20% until AFTER the sale, you can't buy it from him because it isn't his.
    Thanks for that,it’s what I thought of doing to be honest😊
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport