We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Giving card details in writing

We're booking a venue for an event. They've asked for a deposit and emailed a form that they'd like me to fill-in and email back.

The details are, understandably: Name, address, phone no., card no., expiry and three digits on the back.

The form clearly says "for the amount of £100", but having all that info (as well as my signature) on one form seems a little silly to me. Or am I being overly cautious?
«1

Comments

  • elleJay42
    elleJay42 Posts: 165 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 1 November 2018 at 11:13AM
    Not overly cautious at all!

    I'd never give those details all on the same form, ask them if they accept bank transfer and you can send it to them that way?

    ETA - here's an article showing why companies should never keep your information on paper

    https://smarttradeapp.com/blog/are-you-writing-card-numbers-down-dont-you-will-be-fined/
    Total debt at LBM = £4861.03

    DFBXmas2018 #91 - £3342 / £3500 (95.4%)

    HTB ISA - £0 withdrawn for house purchase! :D
    Wedding Fund £2550 / £5000
  • elleJay42 wrote: »
    Not overly cautious at all!

    I'd never give those details all on the same form, ask them if they accept bank transfer and you can send it to them that way?

    ETA - here's an article showing why companies should never keep your information on paper

    https://smarttradeapp.com/blog/are-you-writing-card-numbers-down-dont-you-will-be-fined/


    Then there would be no protection that you would get by paying by card.


    Might be worth avoiding this purchase altogether
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,031 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    elleJay42 wrote: »
    ETA - here's an article showing why companies should never keep your information on paper
    As the same blog post makes the claim that writing customers' card information on paper is "very illegal", I wouldn't put much faith in the veracity of the information in the post.

    Whilst such practice may be against the terms of the agreement that a retailer has signed with its payment provider, it is not illegal.
  • Deastons
    Deastons Posts: 464 Forumite
    edited 1 November 2018 at 11:46AM
    Then there would be no protection that you would get by paying by card.

    But if there's fraud on my credit card and they find out it's because I emailed all the info, would I even be covered then??

    By BACS there's no protection.

    If I call them and give the info, what's stopping them just writing it all down then anyway?!
  • Alexd52
    Alexd52 Posts: 318 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Is it not possible to go to the venue and pay using the card machine?
  • Deastons
    Deastons Posts: 464 Forumite
    Alexd52 wrote: »
    Is it not possible to go to the venue and pay using the card machine?

    It's not possible due to work and the distance to the venue. At the moment it seems I have no choice - we want/need that venue, and this is the only way they are asking us to do it.

    The paperwork says the amount will be credited "on the day of the event". That's almost six weeks away. Can they hold my CC details in digital form for six weeks?! I sense this is the sort of thing Visa would rather I didn't do.
  • Deastons
    Deastons Posts: 464 Forumite
    Deastons wrote: »
    It's not possible due to work and the distance to the venue. At the moment it seems I have no choice - we want/need that venue, and this is the only way they are asking us to do it.

    The paperwork says the amount will be credited "on the day of the event". That's almost six weeks away. Can they hold my CC details in digital form for six weeks?! I sense this is the sort of thing Visa would rather I didn't do.

    Hang on, am I being an idiot here? By credited, to they mean taken off my card, or put back on my card?!

    I'd assume they'd simply remove the deposit from the balance payable at the end of the event day.
  • I definitely would not go ahead with the transaction. Something about it smells rotten...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

    I love my job

    :smiley:
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    I think what is missing here is if the venue sounds reputable.

    If you are booking the Ritz in Picadilly - go ahead, do what they ask.

    If it is Flybynight tent Hire, The Field at the Bottom of the Farm - then don't.
  • Deastons
    Deastons Posts: 464 Forumite
    Definitely reputable - a restaurant in Manchester that's a part of a larger chain of restaurants.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.