Proof of Deposit for solicitors

How far back do you have to provide statements with proof of deposit for solicitors?

Replies

• ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    89.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    What's your potential issue?
  • My dad is loaning me the money for our deposit. At the time of applying for the mortgage we had told the mortgage advisor about it and they thought it’s not a problem.

We had the mortgage offered and were about to sign the final paperwork for the house we were buying until the solicitor rang us with some bad news. The bank had retracted the mortgage offer due to affordability. The bank now thinks we can’t afford repayment because we’re also going to be repaying my dad.

We’ve had the deposit sat in our savings account for around 3 months now. We don’t think there is any way around this predicament and now think that we’ll have to wait another six months before being able to apply for another mortgage.

If the deposit has been in our savings account for over 6 months will we still have to declare that my dad is lending me the money? Or do solicitors check back further than that? If that’s the case then we’ll have to aim for a lower mortgage to meet affordability.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)
  • AnotherJoeAnotherJoe Forumite
    19.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    What are the terms of the loan? Is it indefinite? Or is it to be paid back over a period of time?

If the former that's acceptable to some lenders with the right loan agreement. The latter, its a no-no.
  • We’ve agreed to start making repayments once we have bought a house and it would be an interest free loan loan to be repaid over 15 years.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Forumite
    23.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    There's no standard period. Some will only look back 3 months, others longer.
  • As above - it depends on the situation I guess but I had to provide 3 months of bank statements for my mortgage lender and only the completion statement & specific bank statement entry of the proceeds of my last house sale for the solicitor/estate agent
  • butterflybookbutterflybook Forumite
    125 Posts
    Forumite
    usually its 3 months however they will still want to know the source of a lump sum deposit in all liklehood. Lenders generally accept Gifted deposits from family but when it is a loan then they do not tend to like it
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • scullydion wrote: »
    If the deposit has been in our savings account for over 6 months will we still have to declare that my dad is lending me the money? Or do solicitors check back further than that? If that’s the case then we’ll have to aim for a lower mortgage to meet affordability.

Of course you would, just because it's been in your bank account for a period of time doesn't change the fact that your deposit is a loan. How far solicitors will check may very, but it still doesn't mean that it doesn't need to be declared. Your mortgage adviser should of ensured this wouldn't of been an affordability issue with the lender before applying.

In reality you'll either have to seek other lenders where you may pass their affordability checks or take a lower mortgage out if gift isn't feasible.
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Did you do it via the broker ot you are referring to the bank;s internal advisor?
    Who is the lender?
  • cherryblossomzelcherryblossomzel Forumite
    507 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I had to go back 6 months with the solicitor, 3 months with the broker
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals