Benefits I'm confused and Worried

edited 31 October 2018 at 8:39PM in Benefits & Tax Credits
3 replies 635 views
Devil_in_the_DetailsDevil_in_the_Details Forumite
2 Posts
edited 31 October 2018 at 8:39PM in Benefits & Tax Credits
Hi all new here so this is my first post, I am hoping someone can help me.

My current situation is that I am in full time work, but I have several health conditions which are all coming together to make it difficult for me to hold down my job and I'm at fear of losing it.

I obviously have significant monthly outgoings and need to work in order to pay these off, but if the worst happens and I end up not being able to work, I'd have to go bankrupt. I am also not sure what I can claim in benefits if the worst is to happen.

I am currently renting a bedroom with a live in landlord and have been on a housing waiting list for a few years but nothing suitable has come up.

I suffer with Bi-Lateral Hip Dysplasia (which wasn't picked up at birth or infancy which is normally the case, I have osteoarthritis causing me significant pain in almost all my joints, I am type 2 diabetic and finally I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia strangely my health took a major nose dive after a road traffic accident about 2-3 years ago now.

The results is I can't sit or stand for too long due to the pain it causes me, small things stress me out and the tiredness I have is extreme, and I either don't sleep much at all (3-4 hours on a good night) or it will swing and I am sleeping 14+ hours a day. regardless of what happens I am always exhausted.

Can someone tell me as a single person with no children and my health issues what benefits I might get and how much this be roughly in a month?

Obviously my preference is to keep working as long as possible but I think my employer is losing patience with me and my sickness record, yet I am trying my utmost to make it into work unless I absolutely have to take any sick leave, but I don't think they really understand the problems I face on a daily basis, even just dressing and bathing sometimes feels like a marathon when i've finished.

Sorry for this super long post, I just do not know what will happen if i lose my job and end up bankrupt. I also have no idea how much benefits i would be entitled to and I think it will be very difficult to find work given my health problems.

Any advice or help appreciated.


  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    See your doctor to see if you can get any more help, your employer should also be making changes in the workplace.
    You should not even contemplate leaving worg work because of a disability.
    If you cant work get a fit note, because if you are off sick your holiday pay is accruing all the time. Wait for you employer tomget rid of you, its nit that easy these days to terminate re sickness
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Thanks for the response. The Work have given me a chair and a sit stand desk, and have given me a 5 minute break every hour. The problem is that I am still in loads of pain as the jobs call centre environment and we're heavily monitored to molecular details I can't just go and wander for a few minutes to loosen everything up. They've been given letters from my doctors, the issue is as the jobs a call centre they went me on the phone and at my desk as much as possible, which is really having a negative impact on my overall health and wellbeing.

    I do definately want to keep the job, but I'm worried about whats next, I mean I have a disability but feel exposed to potentially being "got rid of". It's awful cos all I want is some understanding that I need more frequent breaks to manage my pain & fatigue levels but they don't seem to want to give me more than the extra 20 minutes they've already given me. So frustrating as I don't feel I am ready for the scrapheap.
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    13.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    I thought i answered this, it appears i didn't.

    If you aren't able to keep working then SSP would be payable for 28 weeks, with a fit note from your GP.

    After this it would be Contributions based ESA, providing you've paid enough NI Contributions in the previous two tax years, if you've always worked then you'll most likely qualify for this. Fit notes also needed for this. Evidence will be needed to support a claim and a face to face assessment will most likely be needed, eventually.

    PIP is also optional, if you don't already claim this or DLA. It's not awarded based on a diagnosis, but how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors. Evidence will be needed to support a claim and again most likely a face to face assessment will be needed as most people have them. See links.

    Housing benefit/Council tax reduction or Universal credit (for the housing element) if your area is a full UC area. These are means tested and a claim will depend on savings/capital.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides