PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Beading not fitted properly?

Options
Hi

We just had laminate flooring fitted in living room and we are FTBs so relatively naive in terms of renovating the house. But I get a feel that the finishing of the beading is not adequate. First of all, there are certain places where beading has not been placed and hence the gaps are visible between beading and floor - is this normal? Secondly (and this one is not the fitter's fault), the colour of the beading seems a bit off, should it be white so that it blends well with the skirting board? What is the general rule regarding the beading - should it match the skirting board or the flooring?
beading.png"

Comments

• Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There are no general rules, you choose what you like best. I hope you haven't paid yet.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    edited 31 October 2018 at 4:19PM
    Options
    Usually beading matches the floor colour. I have also never seen beading go around curves, I ripped all the beading out in my property but the beading never went round door arches.

The square area in the first picture would be the only 'suitable' area for beading IMO.

I used oak coloured silicone til fill in any areas of 'gaps' between floor and skirting that I didnt like.

OKay so I googled because, I'm bored. You can get white beading, but it seems less common than wood on wood, so you should have really asked for that, I'd google some pictures, I dont think it always looks that good, but, its your house.

Also look at the pictures of beading going around door arches like yours. That absolutely looks ropey, but again, my opinion only!
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Colour - your choice and it was up to you to specify what you wanted. As to the fitting, yes, a complete cowboy job. Get them back to finish it properly.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    Colour - your choice and it was up to you to specify what you wanted. As to the fitting, yes, a complete cowboy job. Get them back to finish it properly.

What do you consider 'cowboy' about it?

On my boring google I saw many examples of it being fitted like in the OP's picture. with a flush finish to the wall.

The ones where it extended around the door arch looked ridiculous! http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s73.photobucket.com/user/huntr2/media/DSC03929.jpg.html this looks more cowboy that the OP's
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 October 2018 at 4:34PM
    Options
    molerat wrote: »

Cowboy job? Theyve mitred the ends that meet the architraving! I suspect like most people they think trying to get the beading to go round the architrave looks shoddy.

@ the OP.

The finish of beading is never adequate. It always looks a mess because it doesnt look right. The best way to do beading on flooring is to not use it at all. Gaps hidden under skirting boards. But that costs time and money which is why people choose to go for the messier cheap fix of using the beading, you usually have to accept things like not going round architrave and inevitably the bead failing (they delaminate quickly, they warp).

Its a bit like woman getting a boob job and then being upset they dont look natural.

The top left photo is the only one you can really complain about, i can see why the fitter has taken that route, its easier and will look better than using even more ugly beading but it depends which you prefer, it sounds like consistency so just ask them to fit some round the corner, itll take about 3 minutes.

For waht its worth, its better to find out what you want before you get work done than finding out what you want after youve had it done. Just put a bit more effort in to researching your projects if you dont want to worry about being naive. Youre naive because you didnt bother to do your research, not because youre first time buyers.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I guess personal taste to be honest, I have beading around the corners with no gaps, looks nicer imho. Nothing a bit of Silicone wouldn't fix
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • gcoopermax
    Options
    I used oak coloured silicone til fill in any areas of 'gaps' between floor and skirting that I didnt like.
    Do you use a sealant like this?
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-wood-flooring-sealant-oak-310ml/50081
    Otherwise can you please post a link?
    Also, is this what you do to fill that gap?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er7TPoaWCVU
    As to the fitting, yes, a complete cowboy job
    Can you critique in more elaborate way so I know what more needs to be done. I don't have much experience in this area.
    The best way to do beading on flooring is to not use it at all. Gaps hidden under skirting boards. But that costs time and money which is why people choose to go for the messier cheap fix of using the beading

How can you hide those gaps if you don't use the beading?
  • marliepanda
    Options
    gcoopermax wrote: »

When fitted the floor should be fairly flush under the skirting. There is quite often a gap vertically between skirting and floor but that shouldnt be too noticeable. Its the gap horizontally which looks shoddy, but shouldnt be there with newly properly fitted flooring.

We did use that filler, I cant watch the video currently, but my dad basically put the filler down, waited, wet his finger and then squashed it into a flat surface finish. My Dad is not a professional, but he is cheap ;)
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    gcoopermax wrote: »

Can you critique in more elaborate way so I know what more needs to be done. I don't have much experience in this area.

Remove skirting boards. Fit flooring. Put skirting boards back. Around the architrave, you'd remove the base of the architrave so that the flooring and underlay slots nicely underneath.

You might have a a couple of mm gap all the way round in which you would use decorators caulk to fill before painting your skirting boards to show a seamless join. Although you can typically get away with just having the gap as its hardly noticeable unless you have particularly uneven floors or a very sharp eye.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,721 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you were doing this properly, you would have the skirtings off, flooring laid up to walls (with apropriate expansion gap) and skirting re fitted or better still new skirting.

But then again if you were doing it properly you would have used real wood, not laminate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure