Chrome - Transfer bookmarks from Windows 7 to Windows 10... can it be done???

in Techie Stuff
14 replies 662 views
As the title. Finally got round to getting rid of Windows 7 (due to the end of support date closing in), and moved to Windows 10. But... how on EARTH do you take all your links, saved links, bookmarks, call them what you will, over to the 10 setup? I have found no info via google, no method to find the 'folder' for Chrome, nothing.

That said, i'm not the best at doing things like this, which is why i'm asking for some assistance if possible... please?!

Thank you in advance,

O.a.B.

Replies

• If you sign into google, it should save your links in chrome.
  • Blackbeard...

I'm not following that at all sir. All the links are saved in the Chrome browser on Win' 7, so... no, i'm not understanding your meaning i'm afraid.

O.a.B.
  • SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    178K Posts
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    In Chrome settings you can choose to sync bookmarks, cookies and browsing history by signing into your Google Account.

So what you do is you enable that on your Windows 7 computer and Chrome will upload them to your Google Account. When you fire up your Windows 10 computer and install Chrome you go to the settings again, add your Google account and the sync password and it'll automatically download them from Google's servers.
  • DoaMDoaM Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Look at the top-tight of your Chrome browser ... you should see an image (may be a photo of you, may just be a generic image). That's where you go to sign in to Google. Once you do that it'll sync your bookmarks (and other stuff, like extensions).

When you then sign in to Chrome elsewhere (e.g. after you've upgraded Win 7 to Win 10) then your bookmarks will magically appear in Chrome.
  • Tarambor & DoaM...

Thank you for that! That makes a little more sense i think. Now, a follow on issue. Chrome or the built in software, Edge is it called? Which would you use... and why?

O.a.B.
  • dipsomaniacdipsomaniac Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    depends what browser you use on other devices (tablet, phone etc) and what email, contacts, bookmarks you use.

i use google bookmarks, contacts, gmail and photos so make sense for me to use chrome on all devices
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • dipsomaniac...

That's logical i think. No point using one set of things and then crossing to another. I'll have to consider that. Just curious. Is one safer than the other at all, or are they both about the same? You hear comments and reports and the likes, but first hand experience is what i believe in.

O.a.B.
  • wongataawongataa Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    dipsomaniac...

That's logical i think. No point using one set of things and then crossing to another. I'll have to consider that. Just curious. Is one safer than the other at all, or are they both about the same? You hear comments and reports and the likes, but first hand experience is what i believe in.

O.a.B.
    They are comparable. In the end use the one you prefer for whatever reason.
  • tocsintocsin Forumite
    186 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I agree with the suggestions above to use sync for simplicity, but in case you want to backup bookmarks to a file as a reassurance, you can do that from the bookmark manager.

Click on settings (the triple dot), then - bookmarks - bookmark manager.
    Click on settings there (the lower triple dot) - export bookmarks - save the file to wherever you want, e.g. a USB stick for backup.

Hope that helps!
  • dipsomaniacdipsomaniac Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    They are both safe. Don't believe the hype
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Glitch hits Nectar bonzana

Did you miss out on bonus points?

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals