Mortgage with new job offer

Hi

My partner and I found our dream house and managed to get an offer in principle, which was difficult as I am on a fixed term contract.

However since then, and before actually applying, my partner has been offered a new job on substantially more money. It is a conditional offer so not a firm one yet, he has no sign of a start date and no contract.

Our mortgage advisor has said that he doesn't think he can do anything for us and that we could directly to the banks ourselves.

Does anyone have any advice? Do we have to pull out?

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Mareland6 wrote: »
    It is a conditional offer so not a firm one yet, he has no sign of a start date and no contract.

Conditional on what? There's nothing substantive on which the lender can base a decision currently.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,739 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    A firm written offer and a confirmed start date are the minimum for a mortgage application.

Best you could do at this stage is an agreement in principle based on the new employment.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • The offer is from hmrc so they do all sorts of checks before confirming an employment offer. This could take months.

Given this can we not proceed on the basis of current employment? Do we need to mention the new employer if it isn't confirmed yet?
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,739 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You should inform the lender of any material change in circumstances which is expected.

Once you do that, their interest in current situation income/employment is likely to wane dramatically.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure