IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

URGENT Small Claims Court - Gladstone Solictors acting for EPS (Euro Parking Services Ltd)

Options
123457»

Comments

• one_cruzer
    Options
    bargepole wrote: »
    I disagree.

The OP filed a Defence which was utter garbage, and then failed to comply with the Court's directions for filing and serving a WS.

He then turned up for the hearing, as he should have done given that he was advised to do so by the court staff. But he then failed to inform the Judge at the outset, that he had received a late NOD from the Claimant, which had not been received by the Court in time to vacate the hearing.

His argument should have been that the Claimant had acted unreasonably by filing an NOD too late to prevent the hearing from remaining in the daily listing.

But, as with every other aspect of this case, anything he could do wrong, he did do wrong.

I don't understand how the Judge could be siding with the claimant and think anywhere near they have reasonable especially with the NOD. Has anyone appealed this decision or know what the process is to get costs?

I haven't received anything in writing from the court, which I would normally expect considering they are quick on the ball to get the fees
  • one_cruzer
    Options
    I'm thinking about sending a letter to the court and judge and send in a defendants cost application. This way it's on paper and in front of the courts and the judge. It will also spell out and define the reasons and the behaviour of the claimant in which I will write in the letter for the claim to be stricken out
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 17 November 2018 at 8:12PM
    Options
    bargepole wrote: »
    I disagree.

The OP filed a Defence which was utter garbage, and then failed to comply with the Court's directions for filing and serving a WS.

He then turned up for the hearing, as he should have done given that he was advised to do so by the court staff. But he then failed to inform the Judge at the outset, that he had received a late NOD from the Claimant, which had not been received by the Court in time to vacate the hearing.

His argument should have been that the Claimant had acted unreasonably by filing an NOD too late to prevent the hearing from remaining in the daily listing.

But, as with every other aspect of this case, anything he could do wrong, he did do wrong.

That is all very well for you to say that, you have been indoctrinated with legal protocol, CPRs, court manners etc., for years. I have been at the sharp end, and I can tell you that members of the public can be incredibly stupid.

There was the chap I sorted out in Houston, he picked up a lady, took her to his flat and woke up the next morning with a headache and an empty flat. The girl, also in Houston, who lost five passports in bars, I refused to authorise a sixth. Then there was the American citizen who had lived in the UK for thirty years. He went to the USA, stayed 3 years, a year longer than he should , and I had no option but to refuse a visa for him to return to the UK. Not to mention all the Brits who went travelled abroad without sufficient insurance.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Just seen this one and at least a win is a win (just)! Another one bites the dust! :T

I agree with bargepole, let it lie and consider yourself lucky because you also failed to comply with clear court directions about the WS/evidence, and dodged a bullet if you'd had to rely only on your initial defence.

The Judge was wrong to refuse costs outright ''due to it being a small claim'' but you were right to attend and wave the NoD, otherwise the daft Judge wouldn't have ever known they had discontinued and might have been minded to find in the scammers' favour. I can't see a letter changing a Judge's mind about costs.

Which court was this, please, sounds like a Judge to beware of, if he doesn't allow any costs.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • one_cruzer
    Options
    Thanks for your help
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Coupon-mad asked which court.

Surely you can tell us that?

We don't ask a lot from out customers. :D
  • one_cruzer
    Options