What used to be where my house is now??

Options
Does anyone know how I can find out what used to be on the land where my house (and the surrounding close area) is before it was built?

I think the house was built in the 30's approx.

I have tried getting old maps on the internet but without much look. I don't want to have to pay lots of money for this, just interested.
When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)

Comments

• timbo1234
    timbo1234 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    There is a website service which can do this for you. I saw them at a GIS Mapping show last year. I'll have a look if I can find their URL for you.

T
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could always try your local council and/or library - my library has some going back to early 1900s.
  • dougk_2
    dougk_2 Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    Options
    Indeed some councils have computerised (GIS) maps of their areas at diff. periods of time. The council I used to work at had this because the guy involved was interested in the history so was really into haveing records. The system was drawn up with data from the 1800s in different layers. It was interesting just to look at and see. MAve you tried the OS website - there are some historical maps on there.
  • Sheel
    Sheel Posts: 45,671 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You may be able to find old photos of your area on francisfrith.com
    Same old same old since 2008

• Sheel
    Sheel Posts: 45,671 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Just found a site called old-maps.co.uk

Haven't checked it out , but it may be of use to you :confused:
    Same old same old since 2008

• Freebie_Hunter_2
    Options
    Yup, your local records/archives in the library will have the details.

Just go in and explain to the reception what you're looking for and they'll be able to point you in the right direction.
    Watch out people. You don't know what lurks around the corner for you![/SIZE]
  • spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    One of the cheapest and quickest ways to find out information like this is to join your local local history group. They're often free to join but there's a mine of information just within the members' knowledge/memory.
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If your deeds go back to when the place was just a plot of land that should help, as you will find out who owned it, and maybe therefore what it was used for.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Hunnymonster
    Hunnymonster Posts: 751 Forumite
    Options
    If you're in Scotland, the National Library of Scotland has a large number of OS (and other maps) digitised - http://www.nls.uk/digitallibrary/map/index.html
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

In many cases it helps if you say where you are - someone with local knowledge might be able to give local specifics rather than general advice
  • timbo1234
    timbo1234 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    timbo1234 wrote:
    There is a website service which can do this for you. I saw them at a GIS Mapping show last year. I'll have a look if I can find their URL for you.

T
    Sorry, couldn't find the URL :( Spoke to my wife who works for a GIS Mapping company and all she could suggest was the land registry or your local council.

Sorry.

T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family