Taking back the control

Options

Comments

• Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well done on making a start with your debt,I was one of those people that consolidated but didn't change my habits so now have more debt and am still paying the extra I borrowed off my mortgage,it's a slippery slope becasue you think small spends won't matter but they are the worst,the odd coffee here and there or bottle of wine paid for with th debit card and before you know it you have run up your overdraft and have to use a credit card to help out
    I have finally learnt my lesson and all my credit cards have been destroyed,I entered into a DMP because I had no choice and I knew it would wreck my credit rating ,I needed this to happen because i just can't be trusted with a credit card,I am an emotional spender and it has got me into a right mess
    I now budget for every last penny,my food money is taken out on payday and divided up into envelopes for each week,if there is any personal money for me to spend I draw out the cash on pay day and wheniys gone it's gone
    I wish you luck with your debt free journey
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Thick_n_Thin
    Options
    So budgets done, personal spends withdrawn and food money for the month taken out and divided into 4 weeks. Food shopping is one area that I tend to underestimate and overspend constantly, I used to be a tes&o shopper religiously because I liked the loyalty card and store layout however I am now an al£i convert and can’t belive how much I am saving per week. I have budgeted £280 for the month for 2 adults and this will be a challenge as we do like to eat healthy so thinks like nuts etc tend to bust the budget.
    Aiming to be mortgage free in 3 years June 2023. 
    May 2020 - £63,493
    Jan 2021 - £56,145
    April 2022 - £44,750
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Sounds like you are on a roll with your budget plans,food shopping is the area that gets me too,because of lack of transport I shop in my town center and that means shopping at Mr S and they are pricey,we have a Mr A store but it's not easy for me to get to and they don't stock much for vegetarians,we do have a huge Mr T on the outskirts of the city I can go there but it's two bus rides as I don't drive,with me it's lack of planning and lack of transport that ruins my food budget but I'm getting better
    I went Mr M today which is one bus from my road practically to their door,it was ok so I might start to go there now,some of their food wasn't any cheaper than Mr S though so will have to be careful
    I need to get better at looking for special offers and buying them when I see them too
  • Thick_n_Thin
    Options
    Hello diary,
    Not much to report, not much happening now however I have managed 3 no spend days in a row, should be able to make it to 4 easily as I have nothing to buy tomorrow. Personal spends are tight this month, I have £70 to last me 3 weeks which means I won’t be able to get my roots done this month:eek: I will have to use root spray, I need my roots doing once a month at least and I won’t do it myself as I have had too many disasters and oh moans that it ruins the grout in the bathroom.
    I have decided to start saving £2 coins, I have 3 to add to my collection!
    Ran 8k in the gym and had ate well! So a quiet but day !
    May 2020 - £63,493
    Jan 2021 - £56,145
    April 2022 - £44,750
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Well done on the NSDs and the 8k run in the gym,I used to love running, I can't do it now and I do miss it
  • Thick_n_Thin
    Options
    Thanks One broke lady, I love running too, it really clears my mind and helps me remain calm, planning another 8k for this evening! I’m now on my 5th Nsd in a row and I’m really pleased, I’ve been so disaplined this week with my work lunch’s and not nipping to the supermarket after work, just making do with what we have in the cupboards, I may need to buy a loaf later but that comes out of food budget so I won’t of touched my personal spends at all! My oh mentioned last night that he had noticed I had reduced my trips to the hairdressers and salon to get my nails done and offered to pay for me to get my roots done but I turned him down and proudly said I couldn’t afford it and sometimes you have to make sacrifices to get to where you want to be! ( don’t think I’ve ever said anything like that before) but I can manage another 3 weeks! I’ll just wear a hat!
    May 2020 - £63,493
    Jan 2021 - £56,145
    April 2022 - £44,750
  • Thick_n_Thin
    Options
    Just discovered Tilly Tidying :j 62p moved to savings account! My savings are now......62p!
    May 2020 - £63,493
    Jan 2021 - £56,145
    April 2022 - £44,750
  • Thick_n_Thin
    Options
    So plans for today
    eBay eBay eBay- I have an eBay pile that has been cluttering up the spare room for months so I’m determined to get it all listed today there is also a few big items I want shut of so will list these too!

2 loads of washing (lights) on the airier
    Declutter 10 items
    Meal plan for following week to try and empty freezer and generate shopping list from this
    Clean bathroom
    So better make a move as I’m still in my pyjamas!
    May 2020 - £63,493
    Jan 2021 - £56,145
    April 2022 - £44,750
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Well done on all your NSDs,you are definitely on a roll now:beer:
  • Thick_n_Thin
    Options
    Thanks Onebrokelady it definitely becomes addictive, a bit like spending but in reverse!

So yesterday’s ebaying went well, managed to list 25 items and have sold one already and 2 others have bids, this has inspired me to find a few other bits and bobs today to list. I’ve been thinking a lot about the credit card debt and ideally want it cleared within 6 months however this would mean paying around £350 per month which isn’t achievable at the moment so I think I’m going to give myself a 12 month deadline but ideally I want it gone before this so I’m going to have to find some overpayments from somewhere. I think the main thing is changing my mindset towards the debt, I’ve never seen it as being a big amount to worry about so making the odd overpayments isn’t really going to make a big impact! But pennies make pounds so I’m going to have a think as to what I can do to raise some additional cash to throw at it
    May 2020 - £63,493
    Jan 2021 - £56,145
    April 2022 - £44,750
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family