• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Les79 wrote: »
    I like the posts by:

xapprenticex
    Blackpool_Saver
    LilElvis

Not going to pry too much into your personal life, but you mentioned "We have the exact same job, hours etc just different units " with regards to your partner.

Do you not feel that this is a bit discriminatory? Pregnant woman has to try and alter her hours, yet the male partner doesn't?

It is only a few steps from you being a full time housewife :rofl:
    To be fair, we don't know that. Has the OP discussed it with him, or made assumptions about what he might want to do? All we know is that he had the same job!
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    To be fair, we don't know that. Has the OP discussed it with him, or made assumptions about what he might want to do? All we know is that he had the same job!

True true. This outcome could be the result of a discussion with said partner and a mutual, discrimination-free, decision being made.

It is just quite unusual in that their jobs are effectively identical and it limits the number of extraneous variables (higher/lower pay, different employment conditions etc).
  • PersianCatLady
    Options
    Until you have worked for your employer for two years, you have barely no employment rights apart from on the grounds of discrimination.

If your employer was to dismiss you tomorrow and tell you that it is because you are pregnant then that would clearly be a case of discrimination due to pregnancy.

However, if you were dismissed for another reason then your employer would not have done anything wrong.

The thing is, people are often horrifed when a pregant woman is dismissed from her job and say it must be because she is pregnant and therefore it is discrimination.

However if employers are clever (and disgusting) they will quite often get away with it so I would be very cautious at the moment because you are in quite a vulnerable position.

Also, I have posted this because I know (through working in an advice centre) that this happens far more often than it should because in reality it should never happen.
  • Les79
    Options
    Until you have worked for your employer for two years, you have barely no employment rights apart from on the grounds of discrimination.

If your employer was to dismiss you tomorrow and tell you that it is because you are pregnant then that would clearly be a case of discrimination due to pregnancy.

However, if you were dismissed for another reason then your employer would not have done anything wrong.

The thing is, people are often horrifed when a pregant woman is dismissed from her job and say it must be because she is pregnant and therefore it is discrimination.

However if employers are clever (and disgusting) they will quite often get away with it so I would be very cautious at the moment because you are in quite a vulnerable position.

Also, I have posted this because I know (through working in an advice centre) that this happens far more often than it should because in reality it should never happen.

Can't beat dragging up posts which are over a month old!
  • kittycat66
    Options
    It sounds like you are having a terrible time. I really wish you well. Sadly there is a lot of discrimination against women still today. Sorry I don't have any useful advice
  • PersianCatLady
    Options
    Can't beat dragging up posts which are over a month old!

I didn't even look at the date but even so what has it got to do with you?

Nobody made you read it.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Tis the season of goodwill to all men?

Chill your venom
    Fact, not venom. Mind your own business. And stow the sexism.
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Nobody made you read it.

I think the point les was making was that the OP is probably long gone now and won't even benefit from your reply.

Necro-ing is the term I believe when a long dead thread is brought back up to the top long after the op stopped posting.
  • Samsung_Note2
    Options
    It is only a few steps from you being a full time housewife :rofl:

Yes god forbid anyone would wish to have a small human pop out and then take care of it,my goodness could you imagine if all the other animals we share the planet with did such a ridiculous thing.

Im old fashioned and stuck in the past..but it was lovely when the wife had our twins,she wanted to stay at home and look after them (She was made redundant whilst on maternity from the forensic science laboratory where she worked) and i was lucky that i could work extra hours to support all of us.

She went back to work (some might call it lesser type work) earns reasonable money and loves her flexible work/home life and is proud to have been a stay at home mum looking after her children rather than expecting someone who is paid,to care about them as much as she/we do...never going to happen is it.

Personally for a old fashioned low intelligence person like me...id ask myself why im having a baby if all im concerned about is rushing back to work...babies are only babies for such a short space of time,id grab every second of it.
  • Les79
    Options

Nobody made you read it.

What has it got to do with me?

I'm a user on this forum, that's what it has got to do with me.

Feel free to post on out-of-date threads if you so wish. Don't expect much of a discussion though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure