What cc motorbike can I drive without license

Options
I have my license issued in 2010(attached) and I am over 40. I know I can drive 50cc without any more test
Do I need 'L' plate for 110 or 125cc as well?

Comments

• MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,763 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You cannot ride anything without a license.

However, your current full driving license will give you provisional entitlement you to ride a motorcycle of up to 125cc after your have completed a CBT. If you want anything bigger than that look at doing a direct access course. Most schools can take you from novice to a test pass in a week. Until you have passed a test (or two or three tests as it is now) you must display L plates.
  • Deastons
    Deastons Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
    sarah_id1 wrote: »
    I have my license issued in 2010(attached) and I am over 40. I know I can drive 50cc without any more test

Over forty and can't spell licence.

What's your excuse, MEM62?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It's an Americanism that also appears in the OED therefore is deemed acceptable in the UK. (Although not preferred). Was there any reason to have a dig? After all you've provided no help whatsoever to the OP.

@OP ... I don't know if things have changed but when I passed my test (a long time ago) a full car licence allowed me to ride a moped (<50cc) without any L-plates. As said in post #2 it also acts as a provisional licence for motorcycles up to 125cc / 12 hp (power rating may have changed) provided the CBT had been passed. In my day there was no expiry on the CBT - no idea if that has changed now.
  • Deastons
    Deastons Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    It's an Americanism that also appears in the OED therefore is deemed acceptable in the UK. (Although not preferred). Was there any reason to have a dig? After all you've provided no help whatsoever to the OP.

Both are used in English, but license is a verb, not a noun.
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Deastons wrote: »
    Both are used in English, but license is a verb, not a noun.
    No one but you cares
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    edited 23 October 2018 at 3:21PM
    Options
    https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-cbt/car-driving-licence

Passed your driving test after 1 Feb 2001 then you are required to take a CBT to ride a moped (50cc) without L plates.

Passed your driving test prior to this and you can automatically ride a moped without L plates. You must complete a CBT to ride anything larger than a 50cc moped.

So in answer to your question OP, you must use L plates even on a 50cc moped, if you want to ride anything higher than you must complete a CBT. You must alos complete a full motorcycle test within 2 years of the CBT.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    sarah_id1 wrote: »
    Referring to my post above your licence actually confirms that you need to take a CBT before you can ride a moped without L plates - that's what code 122 refers to.
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    Deastons wrote: »
    Over forty and can't spell licence.

What's your excuse, MEM62?

Of all the appalling spelling and grammar on these threads, you have to pick this very minor one! The spellings have become de facto interchangeable these days, like 'practise' and practice'.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,236 Forumite
    Options
    iolanthe07 wrote: »
    Of all the appalling spelling and grammar on these threads, you have to pick this very minor one! The spellings have become de facto interchangeable these days, like 'practise' and practice'.
    Only among the uneducated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport