Banks request for further info

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
5 replies 922 views
JerryBuiltJerryBuilt Forumite
2 Posts
I made a claim for PPI and received a response from the bank. Basically, they want all my personal information about work, holiday pay, sick pay, redundancy, insurance and savings or any other personal monies which might have been imminently available in the event of not clearing any outstanding debt. This info will determine whether the policy was relevant.
What I don't get is, if they had sold the policy correctly in the first place, wouldn't they have asked those questions at the time?
I understand when the FOC asks for the same info as they need to make decisions based on ALL the information, but the Banks themselves......I don't get it.
Surely, this an admittance of guilt?
Has anybody else received this type of request?
Has anybody challenged the request and won?
Is there anything I can do instead?
Or should I just complete the questionnaire?

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    32.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JerryBuilt wrote: »

It's surely not.

They're giving you the opportunity to provide evidence to support your mis selling complaint.

If you don't know the answers, say you don't know. Don't make anything up.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Basically, they want all my personal information about work, holiday pay, sick pay, redundancy, insurance and savings or any other personal monies which might have been imminently available in the event of not clearing any outstanding debt. This info will determine whether the policy was relevant.

The banks have been building a database of employer benefits. Where someone claims employer benefits are better than what their records show or there are no records for that employer then they often as for evidence of those benefits.
    What I don't get is, if they had sold the policy correctly in the first place, wouldn't they have asked those questions at the time?
    Maybe. Maybe not. Rules at the point of sale didn't require those things to be recorded. Its possible they were asked and the records no longer exist.
    I understand when the FOC asks for the same info as they need to make decisions based on ALL the information, but the Banks themselves......I don't get it.

By FOC I assume you mean FOS and its a typo. The FOS are an independent arbiter of complaints. They carry out the same review they expect the bank to have carried out. So, in theory, if all was peachy, the outcome would be the same. All isnt peachy though.
    Not sure how you come to that conclusion. Maybe they think you are guilty of giving them fraudulent information. i.e. telling them about employer benefits you didnt really have? Maybe they have no employer records for that employer. Maybe their own records dont show anything as its too long ago.
    Has anybody else received this type of request?

Plenty.
    Has anybody challenged the request and won?

Why would you want to challenge it? Employer sickness benefits are a matter of fact. No shades of grey. Why would you not want to provide it if it helps your case?

If you dont supply the information, they can assess the complaint on the basis of all the other areas and disregard employer benefits due to lack of evidence.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • So, it doesn't matter that they haven't the information that they needed to determine whether the policy was appropriate in the first place. Yet, they'll use that information to determine the validity of my claim.
    Sounds a little one sided to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    So, it doesn't matter that they haven't the information that they needed to determine whether the policy was appropriate in the first place. Yet, they'll use that information to determine the validity of my claim.
    You are the one making the allegations of wrong-doing, therefore you are the one who has to provide evidence to support your complaint.

If this were not the case I could claim you owe me £1000 and you'd have to prove that you don't!

So not one-sided at all and only fair.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    So, it doesn't matter that they haven't the information that they needed to determine whether the policy was appropriate in the first place. Yet, they'll use that information to determine the validity of my claim.

Is this a current policy? i.e one you are still paying? or is it an old one going back a long time? Is it from before regulation of insurance when no physical records were required to be obtained?

How do they know you are not telling lies?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals