We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Hostas In Salads?

Options
Eenymeeny
Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
Hostas In Salads?
I thought that some of the gardeners amongst us might find last Saturday's Podcast of Gardener's Corner interesting. (BBC Radio Ulster) An interview with Stephen Barstow revealed that many plants including hostas and alchemilla mollis can be eaten in salads, which he calls edimentals.
I'd heard of the usual suspects like nasturtiums and dandelions but not day lilies and sows purse! Maybe I'm late in finding out about him but since he's gardening in Norway under quite challenging conditions I found his comments to be very interesting and thought that others might too? He has also written a book apparently and I found more information by searching his name.
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
:A:beer:
Please and Thank You are the magic words;)

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Think it might be a bit late in the year for salad hostas....mine are going brown now!

I'd guess Frances Williams might be good to try in spring. Don't fancy Big Daddy! :rotfl:
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 23 October 2018 at 8:49AM
    Options
    Yes, I reckon you could feed the family on Sum and Substance. I'd have to get there before the slugs though... :)
    I've listened to the broadcast again and it's common sow thistle that he referred to not sow's purse. Sorry, I must have been thinking about shepherd's purse? The Maori grow it on the outside of their veg beds and sell it at local markets. Very MSE!
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure