Kitchen Cupboards in dining room?

Options
2»

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's your house. If it work for you, do it.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • smallblueplanet
    Options
    sandyk01 wrote: »
    Thank you all so much for you helpful replies. The extension is a long term plan maybe 5 or 10 years time ...

That's a long time. Think I might be inclined to open up the doorway a bit (make the gap twice as wide?) to make the rooms more one and then it'd be easier to blend cupboards and style.
  • sandyk01
    sandyk01 Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for all your super helpful replies.

Smallblueplanet- unfortunately the door isnt wide enough to allow a bigger gap.

Had Howdens out today and they agreed putting in extra cupboards in the dining area- shaker style and they can make it look like a dresser. Sounds like a good option because the dressers we've seen all seem to have glass cabinet doors which wont allow me to stick all my rubbish in :o
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    sandyk01 wrote: »
    the dressers we've seen all seem to have glass cabinet doors which wont allow me to stick all my rubbish in :o

Have you checked out any second hand furniture stores / Freecycle or eBay for a suitable dresser? They frequently appear esp from house clearances because they're a little out of fashion with certain decorating styles at the moment (that said, they are right in with some others - my friend just posted a lovely pic of one she reclaimed complete with obligatory kilner jars ;))

Some ideas on Houzz (aka home !!!!!!) here

https://www.houzz.co.uk/ideabooks/33574276/list/decorating-11-ways-to-stylishly-organise-your-dresser
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• trailingspouse
    Options
    How small is small?
    How many standard size kitchen units do you actually have? I have 4 standard floor cupboards plus 6 tall wall cupboards. I cope by not over-buying store-cupboard items. I have a dresser and a sideboard in the dining room, where I keep all the crockery (apart from mugs), the 'special occasion' stuff that only comes out at Christmas etc, and some of the alcohol.

I could probably reduce the amount of stuff in my kitchen still further - we really don't need that many mugs, I have too many mixing bowls, I've never used the stove top coffee percolator I was given for Christmas one year... and so on.
    With a small kitchen I find that keeping the worktop space clear is key. I have nothing on my worktops apart from the microwave, the kettle and the toaster.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    In my last house we had limited kitchen space, we had kitchen wall units used as base units in the dining room upon which the toaster and coffee maker sat, and crockery in the cupboards. It created more of a breakfast room. That freed upon worktop space and allowed removal of a base unit in the kitchen if that makes sense.
    When we bought this house I ripped out the (very stinky) kitchen and we used "temporary" ikea freestanding units for 2 years. You are making long term changes so do what works best for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure