Income Portfolio's

Options

Comments

• AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TBC15 wrote: »
    I’m sure Terry put this income v growth thing to bed some time ago.

Who is Terry?
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,153 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Some ghastly oik, one of those barrow boy types ;)
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,668 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AlanP wrote: »
    Who is Terry?

Surely you know Terry, the Referendum Party candidate for Guildford?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Efs5lwUMy4o

Alex
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Audaxer wrote: »
    Maybe that's another reason to look for dividends as well as growth?

In using 10 year data how much account have you taken of the falling £ exchange rate against major currencies, i.e. Yuan, Euro , US $ and Yen. When assessing income opportunities?
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,500 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »

I thought it ironic at the time that our state pension is paid in exactly the same way as his valid criticisms (especially inflation proofed public ones) and since then we have effectively killed off the final salary schemes that contributed to investment.
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,515 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Regular is most typically taken monthly. I dont think frequency is overly important in the scheme of things.

Significantly negative is always a judgement call. if you hold 18 months in cash you can delay further moves to cash should markets fall. Most recoveries occur in under 18 months. So, you can reduce the worst of the impact. Its semi-timing of the markets but statistically, most crashes recover within that period.

Plus, with income units with income feeding the cash account, you can actually get closer to 24 months if needed.
    I know historically most big equity crashes recover with a couple of years, but is there a possibility that after such a long bull run that we could have a long sequence of negative returns rather than a big equity crash? If portfolios lost say about 10% each year for 4 consecutive years in early retirement, I think you would need a larger cash buffer to avoid selling at falling capital values?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know historically most big equity crashes recover with a couple of years, but is there a possibility that after such a long bull run that we could have a long sequence of negative returns rather than a big equity crash?

Anything is possible. The dot.com (and associated events)period was a long slow decline for overall equities. Again, statistically, most are sudden drops. So, its all an odds game and inevitably, it is possible you would need to sell during a decline.

With no cash buffer, you are going to be impacted regardless. With a cash buffer, you do have some scope to ride out some corrections/crashes.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Audaxer wrote: »
    I know historically most big equity crashes recover with a couple of years, but is there a possibility that after such a long bull run that we could have a long sequence of negative returns rather than a big equity crash?

What drives share prices?
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Prism wrote: »

So a Fund Manager who doesn't offer an Income focused option says they aren't needed - well there's a surprise.

He might be right, I have no idea, but I wouldn't base my decision on the views of one individual who has an alternative to "sell".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure