How long should it take to fix this car pls?

Options
RealGem
RealGem Posts: 569 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
This is the diagnosis I have:

2005 Vauxhall Corsa Water Leak in cab.

Plate that bolts to bulkhead (O/S/F) that mounts break pedal and servo requires sealing.

The job is only to seal the leak, not to dry out the carpets (and foam undernreath :(:cry:) I will do that myself.

Thanks in advance
Look at it this way... In a hundred years who's gonna care?

Comments

• ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    RealGem wrote: »
    This is the diagnosis I have:

2005 Vauxhall Corsa Water Leak in cab.

Plate that bolts to bulkhead (O/S/F) that mounts break pedal and servo requires sealing.

The job is only to seal the leak, not to dry out the carpets (and foam undernreath :(:cry:) I will do that myself.

Thanks in advance

If is just to clean around the area and seal the job itself wont be any longer than an a hours job really providing that nothing snaps or is seized etc....
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • James2k
    James2k Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    why would you want to break your pedal?
  • RealGem
    Options
    James2k wrote: »
    why would you want to break your pedal?

I don't.
    I'm just giving a word for word diagnosis that I got from the garage today. I thought the leak was coming from under the wiper panel, as I saw a YouTube video but that was for a Renault.

The garage claimed it would take 2-3 hours at £45 an hour. And that is more than I can afford at the moment. So I wanted a second opinion. Especially as the guy gave the diagnosis before he even properly looked. He based the diagnosis on it being a 2005 corsa and he "had one the same once".

As the car is still drivable, if he is right, I will have to wait and save up. And keep using a dehumidifier and swapping clean towels every day :(

I was just hoping it would take less time, (and cost less).
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2018 at 4:10PM
    Options
    There's a design fault on the Corsa C where both of the water drain channels along the bulkhead clog up with leaves etc. There's a drain channel on either side but if you find and clear the one under the brake servo this should help (if not completely cure) your problem.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• RealGem
    edited 18 October 2018 at 4:57PM
    Options
    fatrab wrote: »
    There's a design fault on the Corsa C where the water drain channels under the brake servo clog up with leaves etc. There's one on either side but if you find the one under the brake servo this should help (if not completely cure) your problem

Thank you

Are you saying that's what need to be done in about an hour (from ratrace's post)? Or are you saying this needs to be done instead of what they said? (sorry I know nothing about it, so didn't fully understand what you both meant)

Whatever needs doing it's not something I can do myself.

Thanks
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2018 at 4:13PM
    Options
    Wasn't me who posted earlier, but flushing these out should take you about 10 mins max. It's just a case of getting your hands in there and clearing out the leaves etc which is quite tight, then clean out with a hose or watering can
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you can afford £45 but cannot afford £135 to fix the problem then learn on the you tube and have a go yourself. It should be fairly easy to do once you have watched someone else do it.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,043 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is A Big Job to do properly, the plate that the servo etc mount to has to come out and be resealed, and there is a gasket required for the servo.

Have a look at

https://carsandcode.blogspot.com/2014/03/corsa-c-water-leak-challenge.html

for what to do, and every step is awkward, £135 is a fair price to do it properly.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • RealGem
    edited 18 October 2018 at 4:56PM
    Options
    fatrab wrote: »
    Wasn't me who posted earlier, but flushing these out should take you about 10 mins max. It's just a case of getting your hands in there and clearing out the leaves etc which is quite tight, then clean out with a hose or watering can

Sorry I changed that. I see now, it was a different person who responded. Thanks

I am confused by what the mechanic told me today. He implied the whole job would be done from INSIDE the car, but all other advice is to the contrary, and it sounds like you are saying to do similar to what is shown in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChzIbEmGfgU

In which case, a LOT of it is under the bonnet, as I suspected. Maybe I misunderstood the mechanic today.

Is this video consistent with the diagnosis he gave in my first post (in bold letters)? If so, I can see how it would take 2-3 hours. It would take me all day lol!

thanks
  • RealGem
    edited 18 October 2018 at 4:55PM
    Options
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    If you can afford £45 but cannot afford £135 to fix the problem then learn on the you tube and have a go yourself. It should be fairly easy to do once you have watched someone else do it.

Bless you. If I were fitter, I would. But I have chronic pain and from the videos I've seen, even the thought of removing wiper blades sends me cold. I couldn't even put the wiper panel back properly last summer after I changed the battery, (which to me was like moving heaven and earth, and I felt very proud of myself!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure