180,000 ESA claimants could be owed an average £5,000 - MSE News

Options
Some 180,000 ESA claimants could be owed an average £5,000 each after they were underpaid, and will be eligible for higher payments in future, the Department for Work and Pensions admitted today...
Read the full story:
'180,000 ESA claimants could be owed an average £5,000'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    This is nothing new, the reasons for the underpayment became apparent last November, its only the scale of the problem and the number of people/amounts of money that is news today, some people have already received their payments upto £10,000 whilst the average is expected to be £5,000 totalling perhaps £1 billion plus.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Although the government say claimants will get everything they should have got originally they will of course still have missed out on access to free prescriptions and dental care throughout this period of time since they were transferred.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • jasonwatkins
    jasonwatkins Posts: 2,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Do you have to claim for this or will it be automatically returned to you ?
    45002 Posts: 802 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some 180,000 ESA claimants could be owed an average £5,000 each after they were underpaid, and will be eligible for higher payments in future, the Department for Work and Pensions admitted today...
    Read the full story:
    '180,000 ESA claimants could be owed an average £5,000'
    OfficialStamp.gif
    Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Old news MSE Megan F https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/03/70000-esa-claimants-to-be-repaid-1000s/

Advice given on Assured and Regulated Tenancy, Further advice should always be sought from a Solicitor....
  • calcotti
    Options
    Do you have to claim for this or will it be automatically returned to you ?

The DWP are supposed to be doing this automatically by reviewing all awards although they may have to contact claimants for additional information in order to determine whether a mistake was made.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • jasonwatkins
    Options
    calcotti wrote: »
    The DWP are supposed to be doing this automatically by reviewing all awards although they may have to contact claimants for additional information in order to determine whether a mistake was made.

I doubt i'd get anything anyway, but that's good to know - thanks.
  • calcotti
    Options
    I doubt i'd get anything anyway, but that's good to know - thanks.

The people this relates to are people who were transferred from Incapacity Benefit to ESA an$ only given a contribution based award but were entitled to an income based top up. The people with the biggest underpayment are those who live alone and also got DLA or PIP which entitled them to a Severe Disability Premium in the income based award. I have heard of shortfalls approaching £20,000 in the most extreme cases.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sorry what help do you need?

Discussion time?
  • jasonwatkins
    jasonwatkins Posts: 2,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    calcotti wrote: »
    The people this relates to are people who were transferred from Incapacity Benefit to ESA an$ only given a contribution based award but were entitled to an income based top up. The people with the biggest underpayment are those who live alone and also got DLA or PIP which entitled them to a Severe Disability Premium in the income based award. I have heard of shortfalls approaching £20,000 in the most extreme cases.

Well I was transferred from IB to ESA but it was from a long time before some of the dates being mentioned so that's why i'm not really expecting anything.
  • Lolo1510
    Options
    My sister is in receipt of esa support based. She also receives DLA higher rate and has a motobility car. She is severely disabled both mentally and physically and needs 24 hour care. Which my parents provide as she lives at home with them. She started getting esa in 2011 after previously receiving incapacity benefit. Is she likely to be one of the people affected? It’s quite confusing as to who and who isn’t. Thanks for any help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure