cooking smell from neighbour

Options
maxforce111
maxforce111 Posts: 9 Forumite
Hello,
I live in a block of terraced flats or a relatively new/modern build, sometimes a cooking smell comes through and seems to be specifically in the bathroom.

the flats all have extractor vents in the kitchen and bathroom, connected together to a central fan that pushes air through an outside vent in the back.

trying to pinpoint where this is coming from, i may be wrong but it seems to be stronger at the bottom of the bathroom, Im suspecting the smell comes from the flat below, and enters underneath the shower box where the pipes run outside my unit,
the floor in the toilet is concrete and it seems odd that there's a way for the air to circulate from one flat to another, I'm worried this could be an issue in case of fire or co2 poisoning for example?

is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,322 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The cooker hood vent from the flat below is probably not fixed properly to the outlet pipe ( or not all all) which vents both bathrooms and Cooker hoods in the building

It's not dangerous
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    The cooker hood vent from the flat below is probably not fixed properly to the outlet pipe ( or not all all) which vents both bathrooms and Cooker hoods in the building

It's not dangerous

Yes it is. If cooking smells can percolate from the flat below then so can smoke from a fire.

Where extract ducts pass in to a central ventilation duct there should be suitable fire stopping and cavity barriers to prevent smoke and fire spreading between flats. So there should be no way for cooking smells to leak between flats unless the extract duct and fire proofing is faulty.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    If your flat is well draught-proofed, the suction from the bathroom extractor may be 'pulling' the smells up from below. Opening a window, preferably on the windward side of the building, should reduce this suction effect.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 October 2018 at 4:16PM
    Options
    Do you own the flat? and if so, is it freehold or leasehold or do you rent?

I would suggest writing a letter (signed for) to your landlord or building owner (if you are in a leasehold apartment) explaining what is happening and make sure that you specifically state that you are worried about the possible danger of flame or smoke spreading should there be a fire.

Provided that they are sensible people, this should be enough to get them to investigate.
  • maxforce111
    maxforce111 Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 17 October 2018 at 5:01PM
    Options
    thanks for the info everyone @shaun from Africa I own the flat, its a leashold, thought i doubt the building owner will get involved as its not a communal area.
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for the info everyone @shaun from Africa I own the flat, its a leashold, thought i doubt the building owner will get involved as its not a communal area.

It will be the building owner's responsibility as it is a defect with the building. Unless for some bizarre reason the flat downstairs has carried out some alterations which are causing cooking smells to breach any fire separation.
  • maxforce111
    Options
    makes sense thanks everyone, I've mentioned the problem to the building management and I'll update with what they say about it.
  • maxforce111
    Options
    So eventually got a reply from the building management, and as expected their response is
    basically..there is nothing we can do about smells coming from another flat but we can assure you the building is fire compliant and we test regularly..
    I've replied insisting on the case but I doubt it'll go much further..

not sure what other options to try at this point?
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 23 October 2018 at 12:59PM
    Options
    They are just smells if they are coming in an open window or down the main corridor, but Elfin' Safety risks if coming through ducting or up through the floor.

IMO it is more useful at this stage to identify which flat the odours emanate from than where in your bathroom. Involves neighbourly door knocking when there is an identifiable smell (toast/ curry/ cake?).

When you say you "mentioned the problem", does that mean you did not send a Signed For letter as Shaun from Africa recommended? Staple the Post Office receipt to your copy of the letter, they go walkabout!

As a service charge paying leaseholder you have the right to ask about maintenance issues and inspection schedules, even view contracts and invoices if the fancy took you. Don't be fobbed off.

Building Regulations cover fire compartments and ventilation ducting (part B Fire Safety). Latest and earlier versions of BRegs are on the Planning Portal website if you care to quote it at them. Could copy your letter to various authorities - maybe Fire Service, council Environmental Health, council Building Control if <2 years old - noting that clearly of course.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • maxforce111
    Options
    thanks FireFox, we have contacted them both through phone and via emails to which they are replying so there's definitely a trail, not sure if a signed for is much more helpful at this point?

anyways, I agree on trying to identify where its coming from, I did ask the flat downstairs if they were cooking at some point, they seemed to be a little on the defensive side, but they said they weren't, I couldn't really smell much coming through the door.

anyways we'll definitely carry on knocking around when its particularly strong hopefully it'll become clear.
    thanks for the info on the building regulations as well, that'll be useful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure