Shawbrook Bank or Charter Savings Bank?

Options
2»

Comments

• selv
    Options
    Hi, Can you tell me why you say Avoid Shawbrook Bank please?
  • redmalc
    redmalc Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have been with Shawbrook for a few years now and their service as been very good.
    I am looking to move to Aldermore shortly due to a lot better Isa rate, any comments about Aldermore please.
  • jpi
    jpi Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    I now have my easy access money in a Marcus account but I did have an easy access account with Charter Savings Bank and had no problems at all with opening or using that account.

Incidentally, I spotted a mistake in the Charter Savings Bank terms and conditions - they said that they deduct tax from the interest which of course has not been the case for some time now. I sent them a message through their secure messaging system and they sent back thanking me for pointing out the mistake and saying that a correction would be made. Probably a once in a lifetime event for someone like me to spot a mistake in a bank's Ts and Cs - I did feel a bit smug about it !
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    redmalc wrote: »
    any comments about Aldermore please.
    I've been with Aldermore for years, never had a problem with them. I opened this year's ISA with them using cash from a matured fixed-term issue, so money was already there. Also transferred an old ISA - all done online and completed in about a week.

Also been with Shawbrook for years - exccellent customer service, but needs to be as you can't transfer money between accounts online.
  • lindabea
    lindabea Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    any comments about Aldermore please.

I would never use Aldermore again - I had a bad experience recently when I requested an ISA transfer. Their frontline customer service, confusing and misleading information both by email and letter was appalling and completely unprofessional. :eek:
    Before doing something... do nothing
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I have been with Shawbrook for a few years now and their service as been very good.
    I am looking to move to Aldermore shortly due to a lot better Isa rate, any comments about Aldermore please.

I've had several accounts with Aldermore in the past, and advised my late sister to save with them.

Never had any problems with them, though they were not as quick as others to release funds after she died. Hopefully, that won't be an issue for you:o
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've used Shawbrook for easy access account and Cash ISA, both fine and without any issues.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Options
    Watch out for delayed withdrawals with Shawbrook which loose you interest. They are not faster payments. If you make a withdrawal to your nominated account after 2:30pm on a working day the money won't hit your account until the day after the next working day! Yet the balance is immediately deducted from your Shawbrook account, losing you interest.

In a worse case scenerio, if you were to withdraw money at 2:45pm on a Friday, you won't see the money in your nominated account until Tuesday, losing you 5 days interest!!
    Two mistakes in one sentence. Firstly, it's only 4 days lost. Secondly, the worst case scenario would be making that withdrawal on Maundy Thursday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure