Options
2»

Comments

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    IanManc wrote: »
    The Monevator article is from March 2015 and hasn't been updated.

Since then Vanguard have introduced their FTSE Global All Cap Index Fund, a UK based OEIC index tracker with an OCF of 0.24% and holdings in 6037 companies worldwide, including emerging markets, and which follows the FTSE Global All Cap Index. It was launched in November 2016.

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/investments/vanguard-ftse-global-all-cap-index-fund-gbp-income-shares

There is also the HSBC FTSE All World Index Fund, another UK based OEIC index tracker with an OCF of 0.16% and holdings in 2967 companies worldwide, including emerging markets, and which follows the FTSE All World Index. It was launched in September 2014.

https://www.assetmanagement.hsbc.com/uk/individuals/gfc?fundid=HITF009&SH=Inc%20C

Interesting, Thanks for the update.
  • Hildegard_O'_Nellie
    Hildegard_O'_Nellie Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 17 October 2018 at 11:51AM
    Options
    Thank you all for your most informative and helpful input! Sages, all of you!

I'm very new to all this, and I think the frank and vigorous advice of some of the posters about 7% being a slight matter, was especially useful.

I just haven't been investing for long, and haven't come across a correction like this before. It does help to know that it's not as catastrophic as I feared.

Going back up now, so I won't have to eat Whiskas and Go Cat for the rest of the month.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 17 October 2018 at 12:18PM
    Options
  • Thank you, Crashy Time, for the recommendation. You're not the first to suggest this book.

Sorry if I've come across as a little naïve on my posts. To me, 7% did initially seem a big deal, and to be fair, I don't have anything like the experience or knowledge of some of the posters here. Perhaps these things become obvious over time. Still, I'm learning - and I must say my World Tracker has performed very well to date.

That said, minus 30%, when such an eventuality arises, still sounds like a full-on bear market to me, and there is no doubt I would think again in circumstances like that.

I'm truly grateful for the practical, helpful and useful advice you've all given.
    :beer:
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 October 2018 at 4:51PM
    Options
    On the assumption that this is a long term investment and you've no reason to access the capital. Keep investing. Holding equities is akin to riding a roller coaster, up and down. All that matters is the ultimate performance not the journey.

Why did you invest in this fund initially? Hopefully an informed choice. Not just because it's a current fad.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,665 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sorry if I've come across as a little naïve on my posts. To me, 7% did initially seem a big deal, and to be fair, I don't have anything like the experience or knowledge of some of the posters here. Perhaps these things become obvious over time. Still, I'm learning - and I must say my World Tracker has performed very well to date.

As you invest through future corrections and crashes you will get more relaxed about seeing your hard earned money go up and down each day.

It might be upsetting if a drop happens early in your investment career as it's not nice to see the account is worth less than you have contributed. Still over time with accumulated returns it gets to the point where the market has given you so much you don't begrudge giving it some back as you are still clearly in profit.

Eventually you realise that the market compounds best when share prices are low and you actually feel a bit relieved when there is a market confidence drop as the reinvested dividends are buying more units which means long term returns should be higher.

Alex
  • pip895
    pip895 Posts: 1,178 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That said, minus 30%, when such an eventuality arises, still sounds like a full-on bear market to me, and there is no doubt I would think again in circumstances like that.
    :

If by think again you mean you would/might sell then get out now - you are in over your head. If you mean you think you will consider rebalancing (i.e. buying more equities) then that's fine you have the makings of an investor.;)
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »
    Eventually you realise that the market compounds best when share prices are low and you actually feel a bit relieved when there is a market confidence drop as the reinvested dividends are buying more units which means long term returns should be higher.

Globally shares aren't all dividend payers. Amazon being a classic example. Never ever has paid a dividend. Neither do Alphabet or Facebook. Given their weighting to some indexes. Means that the companies that do pay dividends are having to carry a far higher burden.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure