Which account?

Options
Hi all,

I will soon be selling my house, closing down all my current accounts and credit cards to start a fresh,

I need a new bank account to start all over again with, but what ones the best? I don't want to pay a monthly fee really, literally just a bank account that I can pay into and spend in the shops and online with direct debits etc (also would be good if they have an app so I can check my transactions etc)

Any help highly appreciated.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Why do you feel the need to close your accounts down and start fresh?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Why do you feel the need to 'start afresh' by closing down accounts? Even if you've had debt issues, if these will be a thing of the past with property equity then longevity of accounts is usually seen as a positive by those doing credit checks.

If you already have multiple current accounts then you should have some idea of the pros and cons but if you want to go elsewhere then there's no point in posters on here having to guess which ones you're not interested in....

Otherwise, start at https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts/
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    GregStarz wrote: »
    Hi all,

I will soon be selling my house, closing down all my current accounts and credit cards to start a fresh,

I need a new bank account to start all over again with, but what ones the best? I don't want to pay a monthly fee really, literally just a bank account that I can pay into and spend in the shops and online with direct debits etc (also would be good if they have an app so I can check my transactions etc)

Any help highly appreciated.

To start with if you close all your current accounts and credit cards your credit history is likely to be affected which could affect your ability to get a new current account. Banks and lenders like stability which is highlighted by the length of your accounts. So hold on to your longest running bank account and credit card.

As for the best bank, what's best for you will not necessarily be best for others. Going by your rather sparse requirements list any bank where you can get a current account. Have a look at switching to HSBC to see if you can get the reward, £75 for the Bank Account or £200 for the Advance Bank Account.
    https://www.hsbc.co.uk/current-accounts/
  • GregStarz
    Options
    I'm going through a split and our bank account is currently in both our names, so thought it would be best to cancel it once the house sells (as our mortgage and bills currently come out of it and both our wages go into it) and get a new one in my own name as a fresh start?

The credit cards (two of them) I've paid off and are still open, I've just left them for the time being (past 5 months or so they're unused)
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Which bank is your joint account with?
  • bellalloyd
    Options
    I’d highly recommend the club Lloyd’s account and Lloyd’s bank credit card.
  • GregStarz
    Options
    It's with HSBC
  • GregStarz
    Options
    Sounds interesting, do you have anymore info and what makes it so good?

Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    HSBC may be able to change your account to a single account from a joint account
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure