First Tram Operators fine (Croydon trams)

Options
Hi all

Southern are rubbish and have reduced their services meaning that tram travel (between West Croydon and East Croydon) now shows up on many journeys on the National Rail app.

I wanted to check whether this tram travel was include in the ticket price so I asked Southern via a conversation with their customer service on Twitter. They said it did include the tram travel so I boarded a tram on my journey.

I was then fined by a tram ticket inspector who said my ticket was not valid for tram travel as it didn't state 'vaild for tram travel'.

I'm really annoyed as I would've walked the distance had I not been incorrectly informed by Southern that my ticket covered this part of the journey. My problem in appealing the ticket is that Southern and First Tram Operators are two separate companies so in First Tram Operators' view I didn't have a valid ticket and they don't give a stuff about what Southern said / National Rail app showed.

Any advice on how to proceed? I want to challenge the ticket but if it's just going to fail and then the cost get bumped up, I might as well just pay it. I definitely do not want to be taken to court!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• SMCG
    SMCG Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    Show them the twitter?
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    They could waive it as a gesture of goodwill but I don't think it too likely. FirstGroup are not bound by Southern's mistaken advice so your beef is with Southern. Challenge Southern to reimburse you the excess charge/fine ? You can prove they gave you misleading information.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Pinacolada_2
    Options
    SMCG wrote: »
    Show them the twitter?

Thanks, I did and they don't care! So going to challenge Southern
  • Pinacolada_2
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    They could waive it as a gesture of goodwill but I don't think it too likely. FirstGroup are not bound by Southern's mistaken advice so your beef is with Southern. Challenge Southern to reimburse you the excess charge/fine ? You can prove they gave you misleading information.

Thank you, this is good advice and probably my safest / cheapest option
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Probably best to ask the operator of the service you're going to use whether a particular ticket is valid. Depends what you asked Southern, what ticket you held. Maybe there was ticket acceptance in place due to disruption when you asked them, and they thought your question referred to that?
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure