Forum Home » House Buying, Renting & Selling

Flat conversion: second viewing and questions for agent

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Flat conversion: second viewing and questions for agent

edited 13 October 2018 at 11:37PM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
1 reply 304 views
novelty-socksnovelty-socks Forumite
269 posts
edited 13 October 2018 at 11:37PM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
Hi folks,

I've read a bunch online about this already, but looking to tap into people's specific experience, or learn about pitfalls you've had from similar situations.

Looking to buy a flat in London. Saw one today that doesn't tick all our boxes (none do), but has the compromises in the right places.

The current owner has been there ~20 years. It needs updating but the place seems sound on a quick inspection. Things seem to work and I'm fairly sure we could move in immediately and make improvements gradually. That said, I'm conscious there could be hidden issues and I'd like to identify these if possible.

My current thinking is that we should do this:

1. Send a list of questions to the agent. I'm thinking things like: when was it rewired, has the boiler been replaced lately, how are the neighbours, have there ever been any complaints about noise, what are the service/management charges, etc...
2. Arrange a second viewing ASAP, Monday if possible.
3. If answers and viewing are satisfactory, make an offer taking those answers and findings of second viewing into account.

Does that sound reasonable? If you'd seen a flat that was clean, tidy and apparently functional, but somewhat dated, what would you ask and look for on a second viewing?

Thanks!

Replies