Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

Old Style Daily Friday 12th October - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Old Style Daily Friday 12th October

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
26 replies 3.2K views

Replies

• newroadaheadnewroadahead Forumite
    791 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    Morning All
    Hugs to Holly and the TA's as always
    Glad to hear your nan's surgery went well Specky

We are currently in Norfolk had a call Wednesday to say DDad had been rushed into hospital
    It appears he has had a mini stroke luckily he has no major after effects hoping they may move him from the critical ward today so just having a coffee and will need to log on for work and then go to see him
    Hope all those affected by storm Callum are ok and power is restored quickly where it has been lost
    Hope everyone has a good day
    Love and hugs
    NRA XXX
    NewRoadAhead:)
    Debts Sep 2009 £35,000.00:eek:
    Debt Free November 2014 :j:j:j
    Member 51 £1,0000 emergency Fund
    October GC £ /£250.00
  • edited 12 October 2018 at 9:50AM
    csarina2csarina2 Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 October 2018 at 9:50AM
    Morning, ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one, especially the TA's as always thoughts with you and your family just now.

Specky, glad your grandmother has had her op and is doing ok.

Nelski - thanks for the update on Holly, I am glad she is in a place of safety whilst the drugs are being withdrawn so she can have her op.

We have very high winds, we were going to see my friend today, but have put it off, the forecast is dire for today and tomorrow, the wind is horrendous already. OH's carer said she had a job to keep her car on the road. Have re-arranged our visit to Sunday for lunch.

Towels in the laundry, they will have to go in the dryer, no way will they stay on the line in this wind....heyho.....

No plans for the day as out visit is cancelled so might get the two mats I am working on done and layered up. I did 2 yesterday afternoon.

Chap came to sort out the loo, we had problems flushing it as well as the leak, he has put several new bits in and its working great.

Usual Friday supper fish and chips....will sort out something for dessert, might do a bread and butter pudding.....
    Target figure £5000/£2852.59.......
  • maddiemaymaddiemay Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good morning all, back home after our lovely jaunt to the Malvern area of Worcestershire. Wet and blowy so had to cancel my get together with my best friend, B roads, cross county that are liable to flooding and high winds too:(:(:(

My 85 year old mother took a tumble from top to bottom of the steep flight of stairs at her home, she has used a stair lift for many years, has very poor mobility, thought is she had some kind of episode and fell instead of lowering herself onto the seat. Tense few hours for us all, but she has escaped with bad bruising and general lumps and bumps, no fractures. She is drastically overweight which has added to he joint pain and lack of mobility, but it might have been a saving grace.

She may have to go into residential care from here on, but is presently ensconced in local community hospital, main hospital wanted to send her home on the day it happened, couldn't stand or walk, would have to have slept in a chair and couldn't get to a loo. One of my DB's says he was getting close to being evicted from the hospital as he stood his ground and he and my DSis refused to take her home:eek::eek::eek:

Sorry, about the essay. Sending hugs and spoons to all that need them and their four legged ones too. Particularly thinking of the TAs. Polly, taff, Specky's gran, nmlc's family and our dear Holly.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • poppy811poppy811 Forumite
    154 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Very windy and wet here today and very dark so can't see the dust etc. that needs dealing with! That's my excuse anyway.Will need to go shopping at some point as family are visiting over the weekend "to discuss my future care". I know its sensible but can't say I am looking forward to it.

How are you now Taff? Hope the line s more comfortable.

Hope your Gran will soon be home Specky.

Nelski, please could you pass on my best wishes to Holly
  • GersGers Forumite
    8.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning folks.

The winds are high here and the rain is on the way. If camelot has it already it won't be long until it reaches here. The weather maps are dire.

I've been out to bring in piles of logs for the woodburner, just in case. It's almost warm here though the gusts of wind are much cooler. I don't want to have to go out in driving rain if I need heat.

The emergency short diversion road has been opened. It's the long winding General Wade road all the way up Glen Croe and the travel is by convoy only. I'm not going anywhere!

I have no plans for today, it'll be books and snoozing I suspect.

Thanks for news of Holly Nelski. Glad to hear you gran is on the mend Speky. I hope you DM recovers soon maddiemay and the same for your DD nra. Thoughts go out to TAs too.

I wish everyone a happy Friday.
  • -taff-taff Forumite
    11.6K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wet and windy here. Didn't get round to the geraniums, by the time I'd walked back from dropping the car off for a service I was pooped.
    So I made beef stew, attempted to unblock the toilet with caustic soda [didn't work] and then walked back again to pick the car up when it was done. Will have to call a plumber for the toilet.

Today I am driving somewhere to get some quince. I asked for some on Freecycle and a lovely lady said I could denude her tree, so today is the day seeing as a lot of them have already been blown off. Lets hope I don't overboil them when it's time to make the jelly....Did that once, was such a waste...Will have to extract the jars from the various hidey holes they've been put away in.

Sorry to hear all the parents in difficulties, at the onset of winter all sorts of thigns seem to go wrong.
    Poppy, it's painful, the nurse from the picc team said it's borderline whether the securicath comes out or not, they'll see next week when I have chemo again. They keep telling me it's a bit red, how's your temperature etc, but you know, I don't think bodies were designed to have things sticking out of them for weeks on end, so it's not a bleedin' surprise really. Couple that with they don't really know what's best, to pad it or not pad it etc, so I have a different dressing each week to try and sort it out. I think it can be traced back to one partiuclar person who did the dressing the fourth time and yanked it on so hard I was still shaking with shock and anger 5 hours after it happened. Needless to say, I asked that she never do it again. How is yours going? Care? Are you on your own?
    Dumpling, good news about Lee, likewise about your gran Sperky. Is she in better spirits now?
    sorry about your auntie and other relative nmlc, hopefully they can diagnose the latter soon.

Hope the day goes well for you all, with no horrible pre weekend surprises.....
  • nannywindownannywindow Forumite
    1.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all,
    The weather is dire, it's absolutely persisting down and blowing a gale ! I am dressed suitably for today as I am wearing a lovely ensemble of sou'wester, mac and wellies just in case we have to abandon ship :rotfl:. We are also on an Amber warning :eek:.
    I'm watching the wedding too, but I'm not fussed on Eamon and Ruth, so I have the sound turned off :(. I am amazed at some of the hats, I think there was one lady with what looked like a peacock on her head :eek:. I'm glad it's not raining there, it would have been awful for them.

I can't see much being done today, it's as very dark again even indoors............ that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :p. I shall try to empty the DW but it will be such an effort, especially in these wellies :rotfl:.

Gers any sign of the Ark ? Send it my way if spotted, as I have a feeling we may need it too before this storm is over :rotfl:
    Speky :j glad your Grans had her op and I wish her a speedy recovery.
    Healing vibes being sent today for Poppy, -taff, Lainey, Dumpling, Maddiemay's DM, NRA's DDad, Camelot's DS hopefully I haven't forgotten anyone, apologies if I have, it is not intentional.
    Hugs as always to the TA's and Holly.
    Mehefin I hope your family of animals get well soon.
    Nelski sorry your Mum is being difficult again. Dad asked us on Thursday why we were spending so much on the DGC and on our holidays this year, as he thought we were wasting our money :eek:. Mr Fix It was calm and told him to mind his own beeswax :mad:. Did a bit of groveling on the phone last night as he needs us to take him to hospital for his CAT scan. If he wasn't my Dad I would wash my hands of him :( Extra (((hugs))) for you my friend :A

Stay safe everyone.
    Hugs to all
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • LaineyTLaineyT Forumite
    3.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about Scoobymare Mehefin my old gelding Bill had a couple of colicky episodes and they are scary things, worrying together with your upchucky labrador, hope she feels better and is eating soon.

Ouch Maddiemay your poor Mum and fancy the hospital just trying to get her out like that, hope she makes a good recovery.
  • ancientofdaysancientofdays Forumite
    2.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Am catching up mid ironing with a cup of tea, sorry to hear about your mum maddie, what a worry.

taff, that cannot
    Be much fun and Poppy, thinking of you too.

Speky, that's good news about your gran.

Hissing down hereabouts
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • LameWolfLameWolf Forumite
    11.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of healing vibes for all the poorly loved ones - gosh, there seem to be so very many just now! Mehefin special GWS wishes for Scoobymare and the poorly Lab.

MM how utterly ridiculous that they wanted to send your mum home like that. It seems common sense just doesn't get applied in a lot of cases.

When Mr Wolf was in a few years back, first off they wouldn't let him out til he'd wee'd three times (!) Then they moved the goal post and said he couldn't leave til he'd poo'd (sorry if TMI). Then they didn't want him going home with just a disabled person (me) to look after him.... at that point the Hero of the Day, a Junior Doctor stepped in and signed him out; and the one and only nurse who seemed to have a bit of empathy about her whisked him out in a wheelchair to where I was waiting with the car, before they could change their minds!:D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)