PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style Daily Friday 12th October

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Comments

• dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Good morning everyone :hello:
    Unfortunately I have given up on sleep today as I am in too much pain with my legs and feet. Never mind, I get to surf around the net in peace and quiet :).

We have the grandchildren coming to stay with us before and after school so I am looking forward to that. Their parents are working shifts so we are stepping in to do some child care. I love spending time with them so it is no hardship believe me even when they burst through the door at 7am :D.

I've just taken out some chicken thighs to make a tagine later for dinner. I will provide an alternative for the grandkids in case they don't like it as they are more used to chicken when it comes in nugget form :rotfl:. I will make some couscous to go with it and I think I have some runner beans in the fridge that need using too.

Lee had an interview at college yesterday and I believe it went well so hopefully he will be going there a couple of afternoons a week after half term. I have my fingers firmly crossed that this works out for him plus it will be a big leap forward in him gaining some independence.

Thinking about all of you on here who are poorly or worried, I hope things change for the better soon xx
    Special hugs for the TA's and Holly xx

Right, I am in the middle of knitting a reindeer so I will go and surprise the dogs by joining them in the living room and watching some rubbish on Netflix whilst finishing it. Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • Good morning and thank you for starting today's thread Dumpling. I hope you are more comfortable now.

I slept until 4, which isn't bad for me. It is pitch dark and very windy - after a few days of warmth and sunshine we are forecast a wet day, in fact the whole weekend. I have the luxury of not needing to go out unless I want to but it does affect my ability to keep up with the washing. I will need to do some towels and would normally hang on for a better drying day so I'll go and look at the forecast for next week. I have plenty of towels but am not keen on them sitting about grubbily.

On Wednesday I phoned my mother to wish her a happy holiday and she was quite bemused as I'd muddled the date and she doesn't go for another fortnight. She's off to N Wales for a few days so hope she doesn't get blown away.

I did the Friday Tidy yesterday so today I'll just need to mop in the kitchen and bathroom. Of course my version of tidy might well equate to someone else's messy house but at least it is reasonably clean.

I am going to be doing the same as Dumpling now, netflix with knitting.

Sending living thoughts to the TA family, Holly., taff, Poppy and everyone else who is unwell or worried and I hope Speky's gran is doing well.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Morning everyone

dumpling - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still dark here, but not cold, no heating on, hoping for a dry day as have watching to peg out if possible.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, he'll come with me to help with the shopping, then walk to the gym. He has a review this morning.

Dinner last night was stew and dumplings, mash, carrots, peas, LO cauli/broc cheese, yorkshires - unfortunately my planning let me down and some food did get thrown away but not too much, still a waste though. Need to plan more carefully. Dinner tonight will be breaded chicken portions, chips/jacket potato and beans for the menfolk. I'll have stir fry veg/veg/fish something along those lines.

Yesterday I did get jobs done, although not as thorough as it should be done, but it's ok. Today I must do the ironing as the pile is rather large again, that will be the job to do once I've done the shopping.

I need to organize a day off from work as we now have the date for my aunt's funeral. It appears she had a blocked artery which led to total heart failure - it was so sudden and unexpected but we do have an answer so hopefully in time it'll help with the grief and shock. Other relative still in hospital and very very poorly - they still haven't given the immediate family any real answers, but there's talk of a meeting with the top medic - don't like the sound of that - but hopefully it won't be as bad as we're all fearing, although this person has been in hospital 3 weeks and there's no real change or answers from when they were taken in.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Morning :)

Grim day up norf today. Not light yet but the wind is howling so much that I even had to close my bedroom window and that never happens :eek:

Thank you for all your advice on a mattress replacement. I will be sorting it today with any luck.

Out with mum yesterday which was OK per say but her tongue was as barbed as usual her quote of the day was that she didn't like shopping on a Thursday and that i needed to change my work days so that she can go on a Tuesday.....mmmm right OK

Today I am cracking on with a Friday Tidy and a bit of a plan for a deeper tidy/declutter/clean to start getting the house ready for my visitors in a couple of weeks. I am away next weekend so had a panic when I realised how many days I have free to do it all.

Plumber back this morning to fit my new motorised valve and service the boiler was hoping he could do it yesterday but had to order the valve. Will be £200 plus all in all but has to be done.

Working tonight again so will get something nice out of the freezer for an early tea and I have soup for lunch. Going to enjoy the royal wedding in between everything today ...I love a good wedding :)

Hollystill having a rough time but the hospital seems to be doing all they can its more to do with her med change at least she is safe there :(

Take care all and hugs to TA as always
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Morning all

Quick one from me as I am running late, work today and then home for a mixed grill for dinner and wine :D Fridays is a very hard day at work client wise and I always need wine once im home !!

I just wanted to send hugs to the TA's and ask after speckys gran ? xx

Have good days all xx
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Morning All

Running a bit late this morning, it's an in service day so hope to get a lot done.

DS1 and the DGC coming over later, hope they've got an ark, it's pouring down here. DD & BF going off to Copenhagen for the weekend.
    DS2 recovering well but isn't coping with the fact he can't do much with one arm!

Hugs to all in need, have a happy Friday, take care. XX
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Morning everyone,

Dry and blustery here, we were hoping to go out somewhere for lunch but will see how the weather is.
    Before that will get the bed changed and hoover through the house, also want to pop out to the farmshop to visit their butchers counter, exciting stuff eh :cool:
    My knee is much the same but I did manage a little sit on Lu yesterday :j she was a good girl and we just plodded around the school, good stuff.

Thinking of the TA’s and also Spekys Gran, good to hear that Holly is being well looked after.
    Take care to all our poorlies and hugs to all with worries & cares x
  • bellabella
    bellabella Posts: 1,219 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Morning all
    Windy here in the south too. Dolly walked and now i am off to take the boy child to an interview he bought his bike yesterday and followed me home my heart was in my mouth the whole time I have suggested he gets some more practice locally to get used to it before he takes it to work so we will see. Came home to 2 large white envelopes from the highways agency we may have a claim for blight if the new Thames crossing goes ahead they have done a massive land grab of the area and the village will be destroyed the boundary lines for this are ever changing and we are warned they could change again:mad: Oh well we won't have much choice but will make sure we speak up against it .
    Still waiting for TUI to get back to me so will chase that later. Dinner is chicken curry.
    Hugs to the TAs as always
    Speky I hope your gran is well on the road to recovery
    Nels I made an appointment for mum to get new blinds next Friday and she said oh I am going for my flu jab you will have to come and choose them and we all know i will choose the wrong ones yesterday she started questioning me why we couldn't sit in a certain place in a restaurant we go to and when did i book it? because its the week before xmas and its the village pub mother so its busy :o
    Right onwards n upwards have a great day whatever you are up to
    Slava Ukraini
  • Good morning everyone,

The last 2 days were spent in London with work, which was really good although I was shattered on my flight home last night.

I received a counter offer from my current employers who want me to stay. An increase of £2.5k which is still a long way off what I'm being offered in Manchester. The big boss wants to see me today at some point to chat through it all however I suspect there's not much he can do to persuade me to stay.

I updated The Girl From Work, as I think she was clinging on the slight chance that they would be able to keep a hold of me. To my surprise, she suggested that we see each other at some point before I go but I declined as I couldn't see how that would help or make the separation any easier.

Thank you all for your kind well wishes. My gran had her heart surgery on Wednesday, 2 x stents fitted, and all went well. She's back in hospital recuperating and should hopefully be let home in the next few days!! I'll go and visit her tonight on my way home from work. After that, I'll be seeing my friend who has bought his first property with his long term girlfriend.

So I've a busy day of catching up today and probably handing in my notice too, so I must crack on.

Lainey - Hope the knee feels better.
  • mehefin
    mehefin Posts: 628 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Morning all from a wet windy and very dark Mehefinland

Don't think we have even touched the surface of Callum yet and its already pretty dire.. time will tell

Hugs and spoons to those in need.. although I wouldn't mind a few myself today. Been a pretty torrid 48 hours. Had emergency bet out to Scoobymare Wednesday afternoon for a colic. Fortunately caught it early and managed to sort her out. Vet was brilliant and whizzed in, did the necessary and whizzed off again.Scoobymare does not like VETS:eek::eek: Bet the bill lands with a thump though.
    Then poor old Saldal Labrador had a severe case of upchucks and has also visited the vets. Feeling very sorry for herself and not eating which is a worry.
    On a brighter note DS is off on a stayover date with some young lady he met on a certain site so its a free house tonight for the ole 'rents. Probably end up watching rubbish telly and worrying about the animals,

Stay safe in the storm ( those of us in the affected areas) We are in Amber at moment so life could get interesting in the next 24 hours

Mehefin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport