New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Plumber. boiler leak

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Is This Quote Fair?
2 replies 1.4K views
Shanti12Shanti12 Forumite
1 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Is This Quote Fair?
I rang what I thought was a local plumber who advertised no call out charge. Plumber came and saw obvious problem as soon as he took the boiler cover off. He didn't fix it as he had no parts, so just replaced the cover. I rang the office, which although was a local number, was not local, and to whom I had already given credit card details. They said charge was £125 despite problem not fixed. They then said it would require 2nd visit which would be another £125. ( £250 ) I said I did not want the job done, as I had only been wanting an estimate, which I had explained when I first rang. They later rang to say they would do the job for the £125. I felt uneasy about what was happening, cancelled my credit card as they had already taken the details during the initial phone call, and got someone else to repair the boiler, it was not an expensive repair, Today I received a bill from them for £150 saying it would increase by £25 if not paid in 7 days. We never said we were having the job done as we wanted to find out about costs first. We are elderly, and very worried about what we can do. Any advice welcome

Replies

• southcoastrgisouthcoastrgi Forumite
    6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    They can't charge a callout charge but what they are charging is for work, the moment he looked at the boiler he is working so you have been charged a diagnostic fee, are you liable for that ? Well that depends on the telephone conversation & what their advert says, are you liable for £150 no you aren't & they can't add another £25 in 7 days, if you had phoned BG they would have charged you for the 1st 30 mins & I doubt they would fix it in that time,

As a matter of interest what was the fault ?
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • Shanti - Did you ever get this sorted?