Like the February Correction ?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Savings & Investments
204 replies 21.6K views
bcfclee27bcfclee27 Forumite
221 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Savings & Investments
Or the start of a big crash ?

What's your opinion ?

Personally I think it's similar to what happened in February and should recover over the coming months.

Just wondered others opinions on this and whether anyone thinks this will be the big crash that some have been predicting........

Replies

• AnotherJoeAnotherJoe Forumite
    17.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No idea. And it wouldn't make any difference if I had one. :D
  • badger09badger09 Forumite
    8.5K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Me neither

However, £30k landed this morning in my IWEB ISA from a matured cash ISA.

Can't quite bring myself to press the Buy button.

I know, I know.... Time in the market:p
  • PrismPrism Forumite
    1.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I vote correction mainly because I posted after 1:30
  • BravepantsBravepants Forumite
    913 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    According to the BBC News website (currently having fun there in a HYS about European Market fall!) this fall was due to a single comment from the IMF regarding over valued equities!
    If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
    Be brave enough to invest against the herd!
  • My gut feeling is that this could be the start of a bigger drop, but who knows. I am staying invested anyway. I saw this story about the Worlds worst market timer which gives me some comfort! https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2014/02/worlds-worst-market-timer/
  • AlexlandAlexland Forumite
    6.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a long term outlook so am not particularly worried and using the opportunity to invest some cash.
  • elenaxelenax Forumite
    11 posts
    To me staying with the investment is the option right now, as the vibes and volatility of the market feels more correctional
  • BravepantsBravepants Forumite
    913 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not selling anything, my spreadsheet holding my retirement plan shows that I can survive a 50% crash and that's with a 70%/30% equity/bond portfolio in my ISA. Long term all the way thank you very much!
    If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
    Be brave enough to invest against the herd!
  • badger09 wrote: »
    Me neither

However, £30k landed this morning in my IWEB ISA from a matured cash ISA.

Can't quite bring myself to press the Buy button.

I know, I know.... Time in the market:p

If wary of deploying it in one go, then a regret minimisation approach might suggest splitting it into, say, 3 or 4 chunks, to be invested over the following 3 or 4 months.

Invest the 1st chunk today, and the last chunk in 3 or 4 months time.

Invest the remaining chunk(s) either monthly in between today and the last date, or attempt to finesse things by investing them on days you feel the market has significantly pulled-back/tanked and investors appear scared. Days where you yourself feel rather too scared to buy very often turn out to be good days to have bought on, so listening to your own feelings (and then overriding them) is often instructive.
  • Kendall80Kendall80 Forumite
    914 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    While I regret not following my instincts and top slicing my equities a few weeks back i'm in for the long haul. So i'm buying :)