Odd problem with a new BT Smart hub?

Options
2»

Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Perhaps you need to go through the control panel again to activate the share on its (new ?) IP
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have it!!!

The WD uses SMB v1 protocol. Under Windows 10 SMB v2 is active and v1 is off by default (MS says it's unsafe).

I've switched v1 on and rebooted and everything is now working as before :)

Thanks to everyone that helped.
  • AndyPix
    Options
    Glad you got sorted.
    SMBv1 is disabled by default because that is the vector used by wannacry etc to propogate around a network.

I didnt suggest looking at this at first because you didnt mention making any changes to your operating system .. and you implied that it was working before changing your router

Changing your router would not enable/disable SMBv1

Anyway . happy file sharing :)
  • Jon_01
    edited 11 October 2018 at 4:21PM
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Glad you got sorted.
    SMBv1 is disabled by default because that is the vector used by wannacry etc to propogate around a network.

I didnt suggest looking at this at first because you didnt mention making any changes to your operating system .. and you implied that it was working before changing your router

Changing your router would not enable/disable SMBv1

Anyway . happy file sharing :)

It was working on the old BT v3 hub under the same op system?? Nothing's changed apart from the hub? Same WD same laptop, same W 10.

I was assuming that the hub was not SMBv1 compatible ? No?

That's even stranger then... Should I therefore switch SMBv1 off and look for something else that's causing the problem??
  • AndyPix
    Options
    Na just leave it on. There is not really any consequence on a home network as I guess you dont have more than one or possibly 2 machines.

If it does use SMB1 then its a bit wierd how it did work and then it didnt !

As its working now, I wouldnt waste any more time thinking about it if i were you

Andy
  • Jon_01
    Options
    Thanks Andy...
  • arciere
    arciere Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    ^^ How is flushing the dns cache going to make a difference :huh:
    He is not using dns - he is using direct ip address

Also - static IP address is sometimes no use when changing router as the router may be using different subnet. Which may be what has happened here. Not sure if different BT kit will vary subnet or not - but sky definitely do.
    Best practice is to create a reservation on the router its'self

OP find the CORRECT ip address , ensure you can ping it to test, and then click start, and do the double BACKslash followed by the ip address
    Sorry you're right, I read the first post where OP was trying to access it using the hostname, then for some reason I thought that he was using the IP in IE rather than Explorer. Of course if IP address doesn't work dns won't do anything.

In regards to the static IP, I think that it is still best practice: I'd rather change the subnet on the new router than having to change the IP addresses on all my devices (or having to find out what new IP address they got if dynamic).
    Reservation on the router: it works if you get the same router, otherwise it's time consuming and you still need to change your list if your new router is on a different subnet and you don't want to change that. Plus, you need to keep note of all the MAC addresses. It can be done, but I think it's much easier to change the subnet on the router and adjust the DHCP scope so that it doesn't overlap with your static devices.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure