🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Bad experience with South West Trains?

Options
Thomask
Thomask Posts: 557 Forumite
I'm interested in hearing any poor experiences with South West Trains.

Mainly interested in how your complaint was dealt with, outcome, follow up etc.

Before you ask.. no, I don't work there. I just had a particulary poor service experience - both the inital problem and resolution (or lack of).

Won't bore you with my story just curious to hear those wishing to express theirs.

Comments

• mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Dont even go there!!

The train time checked on internet.

The plan of action day trip from dawlish to Paignton, then go on Paignton steam train, ferrty, boat then steam train back, then train from Paignton to dawlish.

Plan A 9.19am train get in Paignton 10.15am thought could be tight as half term,

Plan B 8.42 train, change at Newton Abbot get to Paignton 9.50am

This was the journey -

Got to station at 8.20am ( bus was early), advised to catch the earlier train as it was coach from Newton Abbot, - got tickets, (im disabled on crutches), my dad whos nearly 70 and my daughter of 5, and we had the dog, asked for assistance to crosss the line, sorry no staff availble to 8.30, I can not take you Im not insured, but if you wait for the 8.42 train, you might not make it to Newton Abbot in time - OK had to climb 40 stairs across the platrfom, then 40 steps down.
    Changed Newton Abbot - got bus, got to Paignton 10.15am (says it all)

return journey

No train, bus was due to leave at 3.49pm, no probs got there 3.45pm, no bus, 30 minutes later, found out the bus had left early!!!! daughter and myself wanted to use the toilet - unable to use the toilet at station all closed up - as no trains running - do not have to offer toilets, yet the bus was running - luckly we found pub 5 mins down the road.

The next bus, left at 4.49pm, full, stopped at Torquay - one passenger got off, 20 waiting to board coach, coach driver took 2 passengers, he used the courier seat.
    Got to Newton Abbot 15 minutes late, - train was in for dawlish, luckly they had a lift so able to use lift to get up to go across the platfoem, - the member of staff had the audicity to shout hurry up this train is due out!!
    By this time I had lost it - shouted down either hold that train for a minute of get me the station master - the train was held what a surprise!!

it was 7.30pm by the time we got back to Dawlish Warren - the 1st bus driver drove past the bus stop, the 2nd was running late therefore he had decided not to cover all stops.

In theory we should of been back by 5.15pm.

So far letter has gone to both stations, did ring the Herald Express, the local paper, apart from laughing they said write it to he letters page!!
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • laird
    laird Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    Thomask, South West Trains tend to be reasonable when it comes to compensation for delays from my experience.
    Write a letter to them explaining what was wrong and what you want done and you will probably be pleasantly surprised.

Mum2One, The rail operator to which you are referring to based on the times you quoted was First Great Western not South West Trains.

If anyone wants to avoid a similar situation my advice would be:

Use the nationalrail.co.uk website, there you will find news of any bus substitutions under the service bulletins section, frequently the site will also be updated such that the journey planner will include details of the revised timetable.

If you or any of your party have limited mobility then the disabled passenger assistance service is available to you:
    http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/passenger_services/disabled_passengers/

A note to us all when taking a train that will be substituted for a bus, busses frequently are scheduled to depart earlier than the equivalent train in order to arrive at the destination on time, to make matters slightly more awkward busses will sometimes depart from a location away from the railway station however this should be indicated (sometimes nationalrail.co.uk includes a map showing the pick up location under the station facilities section).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport