Ms

Options

Comments

• haki
    haki Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Going by what you have said, I hope you sought advice before you started all this. I honestly think you could struggle to win this one.
    Many thanks re advice.

A solicitor would have noted/adviced re the appropriate medical evidence or what gp needs to include - please note that gp's also have responsibility to protect you by what they write in regards to your health.

BTW, i actually do have hope - that i shall get some legal precedence to use for appeal - to show an error re procedure. For example, should the Judge have given me extra time to provide the specific evidence that the judge felt was needed in addition to what i had provided?
    I do not know, except that i must get the info to enable the appeal. Been searching and still searching.
  • haki
    Options
    The majority of people believe that when they issue a claim at the Small Claims Court. Have you sought advice on your case as the sparse details you have posted so far makes it appear it's not going to be as easy as you think.
    Many thanks. You are right. In this case, i am a defendant, 3G/LOWELL/BWLEGAL are the claimants. So no, i did not go to court - i was taken to court, at no fault of my own. I was taken to court by 3g, through their third party debt buyers, yet it was 3g's fault. I would find it hard to find people who simply resort to go to court - it is NOT a lovely place and the law swings can never be predetermined. At the moment, i am defending myself. I hope this helps.
  • haki
    Options
    waamo wrote: »
    I can only repeat my previous advice. You have stated the judge told you what evidence he wanted. You have not told us any more than that. Therefore provide what the judge has said he wanted.

Any more than that and we are just guessing. We don't know what he said.

Are you trying to ask, in a roundabout way, what the appeal process is and how to initiate an appeal?

If not then I'm not sure what your asking.

Many thanks for your concern.

I have read on the ministry of justice website and gone to CABS and clearly understand the appeal process in regards to this case.

What i am seeking help for, is if anyone has reference to legal grounds which i can use, to evidence that the judge likely error ed in the judgement not to set aside the case. I have replied in another post what the ministry of justice states must be proven for an appeal to be heard, then granted. There is a possibility that someone does have knowledge of the law, has experience of something similar or even most helpful, can point me to a precedence. I think lawyers have resources that they can search which shows up precedence. I do not have those resources. That is what i am seeking. Armed with this evidence, then i can successfully make an appeal. AFTER the appeal, then i can defend myself. I hope i am now clearer?
  • haki
    Options
    I agree, however the op maintains the judge did say what he wanted. The op has not divulged what they were told and on the surface appears to be asking what evidence to provide. Information the judge apparently gave them.

That's how I'm reading it anyway. Unless I'm reading it wrong?
    Many thanks.

I have responded to this in another post.

Judge made it specific DURING the hearing, NOT before.

Having it now, does not change the ruling, neither does it grant me the appeal.

At this moment now - what i need is to be armed with information to show the appeal court that the judge's procedure had errors, or made a judgement against the law. I think it is more to do with procedures rather than unlawful judgement. In any case, i need precedence or legal information on how such a matter would normally be handled or has been previously handled?
  • haki
    Options
    TW1234 wrote: »
    My reading is that you lost a claim based on default caused by your not defending at all because of a medical condition.
    Is that correct, or did you defend it, but, in your opinion not adequately, because of a medical condition that prevented your acting in the best manner possible.?

You say that you lost, by default, so a CCJ was entered against you. Did you then enter an appeal against the judgement (which could be a costly process) or did you apply for a "set-aside" which requires a fee of £250 and for you to demonstrate that there was a good reason that you did not defend the original claim l, AND demonstrate that if the set-aside were to be permitted, then you would have some reasonable (not certain) prospect of being able to defend the matter.(When it was retried, from scratch)

I read your information as saying that you have applied for a set aside and that a judge has accepted the latter requirement but has said that the first requirement has not been satisfied just by the production of the doctor's letter.

Could you elaborate, please?

My reading is that you lost a claim based on default caused by your not defending at all because of a medical condition.
    Is that correct - YES CORRECT.

"did you apply for a "set-aside" which requires a fee of £250 and for you to demonstrate that there was a good reason that you did not defend the original claim l, AND demonstrate that if the set-aside were to be permitted, then you would have some reasonable (not certain) prospect of being able to defend the matter.(When it was retried, from scratch) "- CORRECT - IT WAS A SET ASIDE hearing.
    However, it was not granted. I have now been given the option to appeal the SET ASIDE ruling.

"I read your information as saying that you have applied for a set aside and that a judge has accepted the latter requirement but has said that the first requirement has not been satisfied just by the production of the doctor's letter". CORRECT -

Judge said the letter was NOT specific. And because it was not specific, court could not set aside the CCJ. The court must first set aside the ccj - after it has, then it basically over rules the previous judgement /order. It is only at this point, that i can have a clean slate and defend myself. Even after the court thinks i have a high chance of success, i would still need to go for a hearing and defend myself. But it helps knowing that i have a high chance of success.
  • haki
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    See posts #20 and #22 :)

MANY THANKS!

Yes, that is what i am saying - you are spot on.
  • haki
    Options
    TW1234 wrote: »
    BOTH must pass for a set aside to be granted. I passed one. Did not get an all clear on the second.

So now, i need advice on how to appeal on the second part. It was my presumption that a GP's letter is sufficient. Only learnt that it was not at the hearing. So i believe the Judge erred on this specific issue, because there was no specific detailed report on what constituted medical evidence.

It is not the responsibility of the judge to tell you what would provide good evidence to support your submission.

Are you now seeking to appeal against a completed set aside refusal and then have a new application hearing? This could become costly as you are the party that has caused the additional costs.

Many thanks.

You are right. As a result of not being able to attend due to health grounds, i am the party that has caused additional costs.

The judge however noted that in a such a case where i strongly felt that an injustice had occurred, it was the good that the court enables me to seek the justice. Having said this, i am not taking it lightly to seek to re write this wrong - it is because it does affect me in very many ways - i.e the cost of not seeking it to be made right at this moment will have a far much wider negative effect if left unchallenged - i hope this helps. I have replied in detail to another post concerning this bit.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So the judge pretty much said you've got the right to have a go if it makes you feel better?
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    haki wrote: »
    Many thanks.

I have responded to this in another post.

Judge made it specific DURING the hearing, NOT before.

Having it now, does not change the ruling, neither does it grant me the appeal.

At this moment now - what i need is to be armed with information to show the appeal court that the judge's procedure had errors, or made a judgement against the law. I think it is more to do with procedures rather than unlawful judgement. In any case, i need precedence or legal information on how such a matter would normally be handled or has been previously handled?

It doesn't matter when the judge said what he wanted he has now told you what medical evidence is required.

An appeal costs £1,199 to register. I'm not certain you can get relief on this. If you lose you may well be liable for ALL the costs including the other sides. They could be considerably higher.

If you can't afford £1000 then the costs alone could ruin you financially. Not only that you would still be saddled with the original debt.

You really need to think about this.
  • TW1234
    TW1234 Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It doesn't matter when the judge said what he wanted he has now told you what medical evidence is required.

An appeal costs £1,199 to register. I'm not certain you can get relief on this. If you lose you may well be liable for ALL the costs including the other sides. They could be considerably higher.

If you can't afford £1000 then the costs alone could ruin you financially. Not only that you would still be saddled with the original debt.

You really need to think about this.

There you have it.
    You agree that the situation has been created by your failure to present an adequate set-aside case.I suspect that the judge did not lay down further requirements for you to submit, but just tried to explain what would have been required to support your set aside application.
    You are now in the realm of trying to appeal the set-aside and it appears that the only grounds are now because your application was poorly presented by a litigant in person.That does not offer a reasonable hope to risk the costs.It is unlikely that the judge could be said to have erred.
    It must be distressing to learn that you did have a reasonable hope of success against the first claim, but that you have failed because of the application of fair procedures that you were not alert or competent enough to handle. Sometimes professional help is the cheapest.
    I am unable to offer advice on the further appeal process and echo the advice to consider your position and limited options..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure