🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

How would you invest in your late twenties?

Options
How would you invest as someone being in your late twenties?

I’m looking for long term prospects (15 years+)

Say having £400 a month to use.

Any advice is greatly appreciated 😀

Comments

• ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You started a thread a few months ago asking a similar question but with £50K. You received some good answers but never returned. What happened to the £50K and which suggestions did you discard?
  • Stu6781
    Stu6781 Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Circumstances have changed.

£400 a month is what I’m asking about ��
  • Peelerfart
    Peelerfart Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When I was in my early twenties I invested that,and more, in booze,cars and girls.

By the time I'd reached your age I'd switched to a mortgage.
    Space available for rent
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,668 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So what is your investment objective? There more to circumstances than just age.
  • Stu6781
    Stu6781 Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Objective is to use £400 each month over 15 years to produce the greatest financial outcome. I’m adverse to some risk.
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    edited 10 October 2018 at 12:25PM
    Options
    £100 Red Lion, £100 Kings Arms, £100 Black Horse and £100 Butchers Arms
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,668 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 October 2018 at 12:37PM
    Options
    Stu6781 wrote: »
    Objective is to use £400 each month over 15 years to produce the greatest financial outcome. I’m adverse to some risk.

Well if you need access to the money in your mid 40s then that rules out efficient pension or Lifetime ISA wrappers. If you are adverse to even some risk that rules out P2P and S&S investments. So you are condemned to scouring the best buy tables for top cash interest rates which will ultimately give a below inflation return. Grim.

Alex
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,604 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Stu6781 wrote: »
    I’m adverse to some risk.
    What does that mean?

You can't avoid risk - you could keep your money in capital-protected cash deposits but these are almost guaranteed to lose real-terms value to inflation, or you could invest without the capital protection, which is likely to deliver better performance but does entail some risk of loss, albeit largely mitigated by holding for the long term.
  • simonineaston
    Options
    gardner1 wrote: »
    £100 Red Lion, £100 Kings Arms, £100 Black Horse and £100 Butchers Arms
    ... sounds about right, judging by wot I remember of my yoof - but wot if the original poster doesn't drink?
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/oct/10/young-people-drinking-alcohol-study-england
  • Riff_Raff
    Options
    Are you planning to buy a house? When?
    Do you expect to pay for an expensive wedding? Have children or other dependents?
    Any particular reason why 15 years or just like the idea of being rich in your 40s?

I'm 29 and want to buy a house within 5 years so keep my house deposit+costs savings in cash accounts in addition to some easily accessible emergency savings (e.g. I lose my job) and short term savings (car insurance and other big purchases).

Since I have a reasonable deposit saved up (but other conditions aren't right to actually buy), I'm now starting to put some money into investments for the longer term. I have a small SIPP (pension) to supplement my inflexible workplace pension (a closed CARE defined benefit scheme which does not allow additional contributions) where I've invested in a low cost globally balanced 100% equity fund. I also have a stocks & shares ISA (my mid-life crisis fund) which is invested in a lower risk fund than my SIPP since I'm likely to want/need the money sooner than my pension.

Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family