Vision Express poor service- advice please

Options
2 weeks ago I went to my local Vision Express where I have been before for the last few years with no previous problems. I had an eye test with the optician who was excellent and then I proceeded to buy a pair of glasses. I was told by the salesperson that my frames would be sent to a central place to fit my prescription lenses and that it would be ready for me to collect in store in a few days. After a week I phoned and was told that my glasses weren't ready yet. I thought, ok fair enough I'll wait a bit longer. Then yesterday I went into the store to ask about my glasses as it had been 2 weeks without me hearing anything. The store manager looked at my account on their system and said 'oh thats odd.' I asked what was odd, he said that it seems my frames were still in the store and had not been sent to the central place. I asked how this was possible and why this wasn't identified, especially after 2 weeks! He said he would courier it across and the glasses should be ready tomorrow or the next day. I must say that I am disappointed in the service as I spent a lot of money of the frames and wanted them before I started a new job last week. If I hadn't enquired about my glasses that I'd already paid for would they have picked up on the error and contacted me, I'm not sure. In hindsight the salesperson on that day was not very professional in that once I had chosen the frames and paid he just casually left my frames on the counter and walked off to do something else. At the time I thought this was not good to just leave the frames lying there but I thought he would still do his job.

Does anyone have any advice about whether I should ask for compensation or something. I already had my eye test free with a voucher so giving me a free eye test next time wouldn't be good enough I don't think. I am grateful for any opinions regarding this, thank you.

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It was a mistake , mistakes happen .

They forgot to ring me to say my glasses were in , at no point did I think about "compensation"
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    You got your glasses, stop stressing about it and move on. People make mistakes. That salesperson might have had some personal issues to worry about and was not fully concentrating on the job.

ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • dg99
    Options
    I’m not ‘stressing about it.’ If he had personal issues then that is a shame, however if it is affecting his job then he shouldn’t be at work. The service was not professional and fell below the standards one would expect
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could complain, but unless you've paid extra for the service, that they then did a priority service -I'm assuming not at your cost, would have been their way of rectifying this. I'd imagine that they'd not given you a date to collect your glasses so will likely fall back on this along with "it's just a few more days".

You could try to apologise but be clear about why it matters- and what you expect and what you are asking for if an apology isn't enough. If you are clear with them it wont cause unnessecary grief. Be aware through, they did try to rectify this as much as they could with the "priority service" so they have already done something in a bid to fix this.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No payment of compensation is going to make up for the delay and you appear to have suffered no financial loss. Suck it up. We've all made mistakes at work, it's how we learn.
  • kirtondm
    kirtondm Posts: 436 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In such circumstances we will normally offer a 10% GOGW refund.

Don't think their is any legal requirement for them to do so mistakes do occasiaonlly happen. It is poor service though as the first time you rang the problem should have been identitifed.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My OH had contact lenses from Tesco opticians for year, this year they were taken over by VE the price almost doubled and its been a comedy of errors from day 1.
    We are both changing opticians now sad to say.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure