Xmas ideas for 70 year old man

I'm stuck this year for ideas for OH

I did him an advent calendar one year and he's still got most of the miniature toiletries :o

He loves chocolates but he has weight issues so I don't want to give him too much. I'll probably get him a Hotel Chocolat Advent Calendar but struggling for other ideas

He has tons of toiletries which he hardly uses

Doesn't smoke

Everything he is likely to drink is sitting in the sideboard :(
Never given him socks or underwear in 22 years but could think about this

Dressing gowns, I've bought him 2 which he still wears

Jumper, possibly

Car cleaning kit for his beloved Lexus (its ancient) but judging from the past it will sit in the cupboard

He's got a decent laptop and brand new iPad

He's the only man I know who doesn't like mobile phones :rotfl:

One year I bought him a River Cottage cookery day so don't want to repeat it

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• How about booking for the two of you to go away for a short break, maybe doing something he'll enjoy (classic car rally?).
  • shorty31
    shorty31 Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    What does he use his iPad for?
    Would he use AirPods? I use my phone/iPad for Audible and love my AirPods.

Does he like music? Bluetooth speaker? Can recommend the Apple HomePod, but another favourite in our house is the amazon echo dot. As well as also using it for Audible, and checking the weather or hews. It’s great with an Amazon music subscription. I am happy with the sound quality, but my DH links it to better speakers.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    It sounds like he's got everything he needs/wants (and doesn't want/need).
    Why do you need to buy him anything at all just because it's Christmas?
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Pollycat wrote: »
    It sounds like he's got everything he needs/wants (and doesn't want/need).
    Why do you need to buy him anything at all just because it's Christmas?

When we got together I was working and he wasn't. We didn't exchange gifts for a few years but now we're retired we are catching up. Neither of us has any children and he is an only child so we don't have anyone else to buy for :(
  • Pollycat
    Murphybear wrote: »
    When we got together I was working and he wasn't. We didn't exchange gifts for a few years but now we're retired we are catching up. Neither of us has any children and he is an only child so we don't have anyone else to buy for :(

OK, I can see that.
    But...if he doesn't need/want anything, aren't you just wasting your money for the sake of saying 'Here, dear, here's something that you probably don't want and probably don't need...but Hey! It's Christmas and I'm making up for lost years...?

TBH, if you need to ask the advice of random strangers on t'internet, he probably won't appreciate any gift you buy.
  • mai_taylor
    mai_taylor Posts: 220 Forumite
    Pollycat wrote: »
    OK, I can see that.
    But...if he doesn't need/want anything, aren't you just wasting your money for the sake of saying 'Here, dear, here's something that you probably don't want and probably don't need...but Hey! It's Christmas and I'm making up for lost years...?

TBH, if you need to ask the advice of random strangers on t'internet, he probably won't appreciate any gift you buy.

Because people enjoy giving and receiving gifts and if you are getting enjoyment from it then how is that a waste of money?

I would just ask him to have a think about what he wants or book a weekend away together.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Would he like to make things? Our son gave my husband a Lego set and some mecano. He enjoyed making the items for a day or two.
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If he enjoyed the RiverCottage day...how about a cook book or two.

Home Made gift vouchers...from the 'fun' I hereby promise to stop nagging the minute you hand me this coupon (good for only one use!!!!)..or a voucher allowing him full control of the TV remote....
    ...to a promise of you cooking him his favourite cake (especially nice if cake is limited due to weight issues!!!)….or a trip somewhere he would enjoy later in the year. (Classic Car show????)

Or you could take a photo of the Lexus and put it in a really nice frame.
  • Pollycat
    mai_taylor wrote: »
    Because people enjoy giving and receiving gifts and if you are getting enjoyment from it then how is that a waste of money?

I would just ask him to have a think about what he wants or book a weekend away together.

I'm not sure that people enjoy receiving gifts that they don't want...but Hey! Ho! :cool:
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,148 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What about an experience? Depending on what he likes to do, you could either come up with something you sort out yourself or look to book him on something eg in York recently I saw a 1 day photography course advertised.

You mention his Lexus, this company do car mats made to exactly the right size.

https://carmatsdirect.co.uk/

Many men grumble about the cost of razors and I've bought a few of these that prolongs the life

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RazorPit-Sharpener-Cleans-Sharpens-Blades/dp/B00CWCW8TA
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure