Sell up and consolidate?

Options
For the last few months things seem pretty flat with the funds I own, Is this a good time to sell all my funds, deposit the cash into a 3 or 5 year cash account with for example HL active savings or similar paying up to 2.7%, wait for the uncertainty of brexit and the ongoing trade wars to hopefully settle down, then reinvest if conditions improve?

Comments

• Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If that's the way you feel why not hedge your bets, sell half and keep half?
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,211 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    guppy55 wrote: »
    For the last few months things seem pretty flat with the funds I own, Is this a good time to sell all my funds, deposit the cash into a 3 or 5 year cash account with for example HL active savings or similar paying up to 2.7%, wait for the uncertainty of brexit and the ongoing trade wars to hopefully settle down, then reinvest if conditions improve?

There is never a time when everything settles down with no dark clouds to be seen. If you do sell now there a the danger that you will only feel it is safe to buy back in when prices are higher than now. The general advice is to stay invested.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    guppy55 wrote: »
    then reinvest if conditions improve?

There's an investment adage. Time in the market rather than timing the market. Let the fund managers make the decisions. That includes the amount of cash to be held.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Let the fund managers make the decisions. That includes the amount of cash to be held.

Since their incentive structure is quite different from mine, I wouldn't dream of letting fund managers make my allocation decisions for me.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,303 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Another half way house is to move into more low risk funds . In this case you lose less if there is a big market correction, but still have some gains if markets continue to move forward. I partly did this about a year ago.In the meantime UK has gone up a little; European markets are down; Far East has been up but now back down and of course the US is up significantly . So overall probably have lost out a little due to my caution but nothing that significant.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure