How can the third party still deny liability?

Options
I'm almost ready to blow!

Taxi driver hit my parked car in my works car park. He says it wasn't him. I have an independent witness, plus cctv showing his number plate entering car park & moving towards a car (you can't see it's my car) but the witness statement will back up exactly how it plays out on the cctv.

This is a no brainer, a definite 3rd part fault?! Why do I have a horrible feeling that he will manage to wriggle his lying !!!! out of it?!

Anyone had a claim like this & could re-assure me, as it's actually making me so stressed!

Comments

• Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Everybody has the right to deny whatever they like. Clearly the CCTV proves nothing. Is your witness prepared to testify in court?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,554 Forumite
    Options
    He can claim anything he likes. Someone could crash and have 100 witnesses. Nothing stopping them still saying it wasn't me i didn't do it.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Paddy79
    Options
    Yes, witness is prepared to help out anyway she can as she was so angry with him driving off.
  • Zorillo
    Options
    That's good. Give his details to your insurance company, sit back and relax.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,799 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately the way many policies are worded actually require you to lie! It is very annoying especially when they also get their passengers to lie too & you are on your own. So glad you have a witness!
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    Unfortunately the way many policies are worded actually require you to lie! It is very annoying especially when they also get their passengers to lie too & you are on your own. So glad you have a witness!

Which policies require you to lie?
  • Chickenlips
    Options
    I think lie is the wrong word.
    The majority of policies state that the policyholder is not to admit liability. I think this is what the poster refers to.
  • Paddy79
    Paddy79 Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's been going on for almost 3 months, I feel my insurance company are quite useless to be honest.
    I hit a parked car a couple of years ago in really bad snow, I was honest and left a note, luckily the person who's car I hit was equally lovely & told me he couldn't see any damage & wouldn't take it further.
    Just worried if it ends up going further as for some reason I didn't take put legal cover with that insurance (lesson learnt!)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Paddy79 wrote: »
    I'm almost ready to blow!

Taxi driver hit my parked car in my works car park. He says it wasn't him. I have an independent witness, plus cctv showing his number plate entering car park & moving towards a car

That evidence wouldn't stand up in court unless it showed the impact. There will be lots of cars that move towards your car in the car park as they pass it.
  • OnanTheBarbarian
    Options
    Have you made a claim via your own insurance for the damage or are you just asking your insurer to liaise with his in order to get an admission of liability?

If it's the latter then it will take ages as your insurance company won't be too fussed playing the role of accident management co.

Plus most taxi policies are underwritten by second rate Gibraltar based insurers with poor claims infrastructure in the UK. Odds are they may also be chasing the policyholder to even report the claim.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure