Facebook "Data Breach"

in Techie Stuff
10 replies 840 views
Another day another Data Breach...
The company said attackers were able to exploit a vulnerability in a feature known as “View As” to gain control of people's accounts.
The breach was discovered on Tuesday, Facebook said, and it has informed police.
Users that had potentially been affected were prompted to re-log-in on Friday.
The flaw has been fixed, wrote the firm’s head of security, Guy Rosen, adding all affected accounts had been reset, as well as another 40 million "as a precautionary step".

If you were asked to log back in to your Facebook account today it was due to a breach in Facebook's security Which could give hackers access to users accounts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45686890
Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"

Replies

• forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    32.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    There goes one method of viewing private facebook profiles when your not on the allowed list.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• EenymeenyEenymeeny Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    Forumite
    I always log in and out of FB when using it. I have used it today, does this mean that I might have been hacked or am in danger of being hacked if I log in? Don't like to log in to check just in case... Thanks for any advice.
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
    32.1K Posts
    Forumite
    If you log in each time you won't know if your account was affected.

If you stay logged in and you were suddenly logged out then it may have been affected.

• esuhlesuhl Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Which is worse -- handing your data to Zuckerberg, or handing them to hackers? :-/
  • LadyDeeLadyDee Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Forumite
    Some years ago I joined FB for the sole purpose of looking for a long-lost relative. I never posted on FB, nor any photos etc. I never found an entry for my relative and completely forgot that I had signed up.

This latest FB fiasco has brought to my mind that at the very least minimal information must be held somewhere on the site because strangely, in the last week or so I have received a couple of requests to be "friends" (yuck) with people I have never heard of.

Some time ago I deactivated my account as I was sick of receiving these interminable requests, but now they've started up again!
  • Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    8K Posts
    Forumite
    You usually find people who send you friend requests think you're somebody else with a similar name, which may explain why you've never heard of them.

Bear in mind of course there is absolutely no obligation whatsoever to accept any friend request at all and you can quite easily plod along with no (Facebook) friends and a bunch of subscriptions to various pages if that's what you want.
  • LadyDeeLadyDee Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Forumite
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    You usually find people who send you friend requests think you're somebody else with a similar name, which may explain why you've never heard of them.

Bear in mind of course there is absolutely no obligation whatsoever to accept any friend request at all and you can quite easily plod along with no (Facebook) friends and a bunch of subscriptions to various pages if that's what you want.

I have absolutely no interest in anything FB related in any shape or form. People with whom I wish to be friends I keep in touch with by letters, emails, telephone calls and (gosh) actually meeting them! If I could eliminate any mention of FB from my internet browsing I would do so.
  • UndervaluedUndervalued Forumite
    8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Neil_Jones wrote: »

I sympathise with Lady Dee as I more or less had to join Facebook in order to view several groups relevant to one of my main activities. Sadly, from my point of view, they had opted to move to Facebook rather than continue to run their own websites.

In order to join the groups I had to use my real name (understandable in many ways) but I found it far harder than it should be to turn off, or at least limit, all the aspects of Facebook of which I wanted no part.

Some people clearly couldn't understand that I didn't want to be Facebook "friends" or whatever they call it and would even pester other members to try and get me to change my settings or hand over my phone number and private email.
  • EenymeenyEenymeeny Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    Forumite
    If you log in each time you won't know if your account was affected.

If you stay logged in and you were suddenly logged out then it may have been affected.

Thank you. I think that I'll stay off it and see if anything else happens to raise suspicion then! Like other people on this thread my use is very limited and has very little information on it any way. :)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
    32.1K Posts
    Forumite
    If you use your real name then they have more than you think. They can see any friends you add and any people you search for etc..

When you look into it they gather a lot of information about you, a lots of it is just tracking you to show adverts that you may click which will earn them a shiny penny. Its in their interest to show you adverts that you want to click.

But whilst gathering that info they can also find out a lot about you, add a parent or sibling? Your bannks security question of mothers maiden name maybe gathered from that.

Stalkers dream, they don't need to follow people around anymore, the info will be online. Probably in teh supermarket buying a tin of beans :)

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals