Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries

Tesco to trial paying customers who recycle 10p per plastic bottle - MSE News - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Tesco to trial paying customers who recycle 10p per plastic bottle - MSE News

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
24 replies 5.5K views

Replies

• Wizard_of_IdWizard_of_Id
    5.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    No tesco near me so even if the nearest one was doing it, it still would not draw me to go there.

This kind of thing has to be nationwide with all plastic bottles being accepted at all outlets or it just won't work.
  • Zero_SumZero_Sum Forumite
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    So could i buy a multipack of coca cola a say farmfoods then cash in at tesco?

Not that it matters as i dont live anywhere near the trial stores
  • mjm3346mjm3346 Forumite
    43.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can never understand why we still have plastic wrapped multi packs - surely the technology is there so that is you buy a single can you're charged once price & if you buy a set multiple then you're charged another

It is easier (therefore cheaper) to handle/stack/carry/store multi packs than it is individual cans.

• VT82VT82 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    mjm3346 wrote: »
    It is easier (therefore cheaper) to handle/stack/carry/store multi packs than it is individual cans.
    I'm sure what was is proposed is already done in Spanish supermarkets though (at least for the cervezas that I've bought!).
  • zerogzerog Forumite
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    So instead of recycling them at home I now have to bring bottles to Tesco. At least there's a higher chance they will actually get recycled now, since I suspect the council just dump our "recycling" bin into the regular rubbish.
  • NBLondonNBLondon Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    dekaspace wrote: »
    Yep same at mine, I used to stockpile cans and take like 100+ in at once even pick them off the streets for that extra few pence.
    I used to work with somebody who would raid all the bins in the works canteen for cans, take them home and then to Tesco as she was temping and on a tight budget. Some of us got wind of this and used to leave our cans in a carrier bag under her workstation - every little helps really was true in that case.

I'd have to go out of my way a bit for a Tesco so not for me.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • MrsStepfordMrsStepford Forumite
    277 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Interesting, as we saved all our food and drink cans for a year and took them to the local scrapyard. For 25 kilos we got 2.50. So we just put them in council recycling now.

Ocado pays 5p for every supermarket single use bag, as they recycle them to make more Ocado bags. Most I've had is 85p knocked off final bill.

In the Auchan near Boulogne, there used to be a machine where you could get paid for recycling wine bottles. My father would save his wine bottles in the garage and when we went over he would get enough for coffees.
  • PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd just stick my occasional bottle in the regular recycling bin .... nobody wants to go faffing about getting the right bottle, having it with you, going over to some machine ..... when there's a perfectly good recycling bin in the garden that you can toss them into and forget.
  • Wizard_of_IdWizard_of_Id
    5.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you live in Leeds there is a centre car park that will give you 20p a bottle off the price of your parking so double the return from Tesco and you can use any bottle as long as it is over 500ml :D
  • Barny1979Barny1979 Forumite
    5.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The TOMRA machines at Tesco were pretty good, but were unreliable and not all Tesco stores had them, generally only Extra stores due to the footprint.
    2013 - 313 AFDs, 2014 - 289 AFDs, 2015 - 321 AFDs, 2016 - 276 AFDs, 2017 - 276 AFDs, 2018 - 240 AFDs 2019 - 285 AFDs 2020 - 137 AFDs to end of June
    MFW Challenge 2019 - £1809/£1809, 2020 - £1761.85/£1750