Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Using auto fill to complete forms

I’ve noticed that on some forms, when I type an answer, the box remains white, and when I use the auto fill, the box turns yellow.

The form submits ok but do you think it makes any difference to your chances of winning if the form is partially completed by auto fill?

Replies

• One-EyeOne-Eye Forumite
    61.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The yellow box is local to your machine - it has nothing to do with the website. It is just informing you of the fields that autofill has completed. As long as Autofill is putting the correct data in each field, then it will make no difference to your chance of winning.

Some websites ask you not to use Autofill - but I think a lot of these are due to them being fed up with nonsense responses where Autofill has put something wrong in some of the fields.

Autofill doesn't work well where there is checking on each field - especially forms that may change what is being asked according to a previous response.
  • thetoothfairythetoothfairy Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Good to know!!!
  • DavidHolland3103DavidHolland3103 Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    As someone who codes for a living, I often question how techy these forms are.

If I wanted to catch out those using autofill/roboform etc, there are ways to do it, which wouldn't show up to the average person filling in the form, but would show up on the back end.

I wouldn't think most companies would care enough to be honest.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals