Zero feedback buyer wants to send cheque

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
10 replies 1K views
claire07claire07 Forumite
605 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
✭✭
A zero feedback buyer won a couple of my items last week and says they are having problems paying with paypal and want my address to send a cheque.

As I presumably have to wait for the cheque to clear is there a better way of doing this such as bank tranfer without falling foul of any ebay rules?

Replies

• ballisticbrianballisticbrian Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    They can pay via PayPal without an account by opting to use a card. If they haven't got a card they shouldn't really be shopping online.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    To add to the above response, if you have been selling for a few years then accepting a cheque or bank transfer is perfectly acceptable and is allowed under ebay T and C's. For some newer sellers the only option is paypal - but if you already have a confirmed sale then ebay cannot force you to take it and all the risk remains with the buyer.

I find it odd though that a buyer has no online payment methods set up, as ballisticbrian says they can pay by card via paypal easily.

Whether you accept a cheque or not is completely up to you, if it is drawn on a UK bank then the 2-4-6 rules apply and it is cleared against fraud after 6 working days - and you would need to explain to the buyer that there could be an 8 day delay or so in posting due to this time frame. I would be slightly more concerned if this is a high value item and buyer is planning a cheque on a non high street bank, or tries to push you to post on day 4 when cheque shows as cleared for funds.

Personally for a small amount I couldn't be bothered to take a cheque and faff around and would be saying card via paypal or bank transfer only.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • KxMxKxMx Forumite
    9.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Remember some banks use digital imaging now for cheques. Funds clear the next working day.

Not all banks have it yet though, my local HSBC doesn't but their App does :)
  • kazwookiekazwookie Forumite
    12.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally with all the faffing around, for clearing etc, I would say no.

I also would be unhappy to giving my address out for a cheque (I don't really know why but I would be)
    :) Sun, Sea :)

• claire07claire07 Forumite
    605 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Many thanks for the advice. As this was a zero feedback new bidder I got the feeling something might go wrong. So I'll suggest they pay by card via paypal or bank transfer.

Also kazwookie said they would be unhappy giving out their address and that is something I don't want to do. Strangely enough I feel safer giving out account number and sort code as it seems more anonymous.
  • MarkN88MarkN88 Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you accept a bank transfer can I suggest you possibly send item signed for?

I had an issue once where I allowed it and the person went to their bank then mine and claimed they hadn’t received, my bank then froze my account, I had to prove it, lucky for me I sent it signed for, had the receipt and was able to show the tracking info online in branch.
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    MarkN88 wrote: »
    If you accept a bank transfer can I suggest you possibly send item signed for?

I had an issue once where I allowed it and the person went to their bank then mine and claimed they hadn’t received, my bank then froze my account, I had to prove it, lucky for me I sent it signed for, had the receipt and was able to show the tracking info online in branch.

Are you absolutely sure ? That breaches all bank regulations especially as bank transfers are not linked to a sale and are made voluntary.

I certainly would not expect any bank to go completely against the rules and make up a scenario where I had to,prove receipt of something that is neither attached to the payment nor covered by any bank guarantee.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    15.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would take a 6 day clearance on a cheque over a 180 day clearance on a Paypal payment ANY day of the week.

Take the cheque, you are in control, let it clear and post. JOB DONE.
  • robatworkrobatwork Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    You take the cheque.
    Then on next day the nagging to send the item will start.
    Then they'll get angry and insulted you don't trust them.
    Don't trust them.
    If they have a current account, which they do, then they can bank transfer. Ask them why they can't do this.
  • MarkN88MarkN88 Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soolin...

Sorry it won’t let me quote.

I’m not sure procedures or anything but what happened is, I went to the cash point at my bank to withdraw some cash and it sucked my card in.

I went into branch and they retrieved it and when they looked into my account, they said my account had been frozen and I had to speak to their fraud team.

Until I had found the receipt and tracking information I couldn’t use my card online or in cash point and had to use counter service with ID to get money out.

Thought it was strange.

I’m not with them now I told them the way they treated me meant I didn’t want to be their customer no longer.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Top savings accounts

Up to 1.7% fixed or 0.6% easy access

MSE Guides

24 craft beers for £26 delivered

Flavourly newbies only (norm £70ish)

MSE Deals